cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST-Link Utility Checksum changed

ENind
Associate II

Hello,

recently i upgraded my ST-Link Utility from v3.8.0 to v4.2.0, within that change the value of the calculated checksum for the same Intel-HEX files changed. Below there are screenshots for the different ST-Link Utility versions respectively. In the change-log of ST-Link Utility i did not found information regarding a change in checksum calculation.

Please provide information about this changed behavior.

Thank you!

v4.2.0

0690X000006CFP9QAO.png

v3.8.00690X000006CFP4QAO.png

5 REPLIES 5

Improbable that it is zero, looks consistent with a sum of bytes.

https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/user_manual/e6/10/d8/80/d6/1d/4a/f2/CD00262073.pdf/files/CD00262073.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.CD00262073.pdf

"Memory checksum

The checksum is calculated based on an arithmetic sum algorithm, byte per byte. The result is truncated to 32-bit word.

The checksum value is displayed in the log window"

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Thank you Clive,

a checksum can be also zero. More precisely, the HEX-file is padded specially in order to produce a zero result using CRC32. However this does not work for ST-Link Utility v4.2.0.

>>a checksum can be also zero

Indeed, but that takes some effort. And is potentially unachievable with a 32-bit sum of bytes. That typically works better for 16-bit truncated values .

Pretty sure ST isn't using CRC32, or their mutation/flavour of it.

There are several intervening versions of the Utilities, and a newer version. The command line option provides a means to generate sums. I think 5 mins of testing could get you a clear understanding of what's being applied.

STM32 use CRC32, see also here:

https://www.iar.com/support/tech-notes/general/calculate-crc32-as-in-stm32-hardware-v.5.50-and-later/

Files with CRC equal to zero can be generated by padding with the actual CRC, see also here:

http://www.sunshine2k.de/articles/coding/crc/understanding_crc.html#ch21

Can you specify the checksum algorithms of ST-Link Utility v3.8.0 and v4.2.0?

You said you can evaluate it in 5 mins of testing.

Thank you for your help!

I'm familiar with the properties of CRC's, I've been using them since the 1980's, so yes feeding the remainder back into the division yields a zero. I think I've discussed it here in the STM32 case going back a decade.

General problem with .HEX files is that have the potential to be sparse, and out of order, the fill character then plays a role.

ST uses an unconventional application of CRC32, this routine on the cite page won't give you the same values. Compute_CRC32_Simple()

I'm saying the someone who understood the mechanics could make a determination of what, or what wasn't, being applied in any given case, pretty quickly.

Sum of bytes is going to be hard/impossible to get to zero across a relatively finite span provided by the firmware/flash size here. A sum of words, the same width as the words, comparatively is going to be a trivial task to sum to zero.

The docs for 4.2.0 and 4.3.0 releases say its a sum of bytes. I don't see it mention CRC, nor Fletcher algorithms.