cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F407 connection to st-link v2. I have a digital board running code from the external rom that connects to a color LCD panel, switches, and an some switches.

FLett
Associate II

getting Error(4) and Error(7) at various point's in the error logs. USB communication seems to be working and firmware upgrade worked. Logs attached any thoughts?

12 REPLIES 12

Don't fiddle with the GPIO or configurations used by the debugger interface.

Don't put the core into a low power state, or cause bus transactions (DMA, etc) which interfere with attempts to wrestle the core into a halted state.

Make sure the debugger can control the NRST pins.

If strapping BOOT0 High makes the problems go away, you're code is doing something unhelpful.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
FLett
Associate II

Thanks for looking at this. An excellent clue. Code is running from flash and also making it impossible to halt the core. I incorrectly though st-link would work with anything running from flash.

Running from FLASH should be viable. If the debugger successfully connects to ROM, then it points to something your code is doing to interfere with normal operation.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
FLett
Associate II

Interesting, it's a bunch of DSP code, but it uses GPIO pins a bunch. By running from flash I'm thinking external flash. Is there an app note or something that discusses st-link's architecture and signal needs more than the notes I found that discuss cables and LEDs? Thank's for looking at my simple questions.

Can't this be more result of a hardware problem, like ground loops thrrough the debug cable, inadequate ground/return, too long debug cable, mcu supply problem...?

JW

FLett
Associate II

Super idea. Surprisingly though the little board is really clean for signal integrity stuff though. This time I'm running into my limited understanding of the st-link architecture and an inability to control software very much. The st-link isn't connecting to the target at all. Lately I'm thinking that I need to stop the software at a point when the core quite so JTAG can work. I'm attempting to connect the st-link/v2 to my slightly broken Open_Source software radio .

FL

> the little board is really clean for signal integrity stuff

You have the STLink onboard?

JW

FLett
Associate II

It isn't at that level of clean, but it is only connected through a 7 cm cable with ground on the cable to the board. "really clean" are famous last words, but I'm certain I'm more fundamentally messed up.

I probably need to get more basic stuff correct, like: target-settings, software's use of GPIO, and core activity. Do you know of a summary sheet for target settings that works for the STM32F407? I think I may have a way of fixing the GPIO and core activity issue. Thanks for looking at my probably simple issue.

FL

T J
Lead

I don't want to say powersupply

change the cable. change the JTAG dongle.. change computer... change the Ground Lead

dont change the power supply ( :( )

do you have cache turned on ?