cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to perform asset tracking/indoor localization or to measure RSSI value on a BlueNRG-1/2 board in a bluetooth mesh network ?

MH1
Associate II

I want to track/locate the position of a bluetooth mesh node. I am currently using three BlueNRG-1 based STEVALIDB007v1 boards and an android smartphone to form a bluetooth mesh network in which smartphone reads sensor data from mesh nodes. I did some research and found that RSSI value can be used to estimate the distance between receiver node and a target node. This distance estimate could be used by trilateration method using three nodes (whose positions and distances to target node are already known) to calculate the position of target node. 

I would like to ask is it possible to measure RSSI value on BlueNRG-1/2 board in a mesh network ? Or is there any other way to perform asset tracking/indoor localization in a bluetooth mesh network ?

8 REPLIES 8
MH1
Associate II

@STM Community​ @alok​ ....Kindly reply. I thought that in order to read RSSI value, I could use hci_le_advertising_report_event() which is present inside bluenrg1_events.h, but when I tried to use it in Lighting Application example of bluetooth mesh in the main file, I got error "duplicate definitions for hci_le_advertising_report_event in "...Obj\main.o" and "library.o(libBlueNRG_Mesh_Cm0.a)". Please let me know how can I read RSSI value.

alok
Senior

If i understand well, you want to check RSSI level of the signal coming from the Mesh Node in the mesh network itself. Currently, this information is not exposed onto the application layer. We can review how to provide this

MH1
Associate II

Yes. Can you please let me know how to do it ?

If not possibe in above mentioned way, then Is it possible to get RSSI value of a device, (before it is provisioned and added to mesh network) on a mesh node and then later on add that device in a mesh network ?

alok
Senior

The RSSI of the node is shown on the App before provisioning

MH1
Associate II

But I want to measure RSSI of a node as received on other nodes (not on the app ). Is there any way ?

MH1
Associate II

@STM Community​ @alok​ ..There must be some way to measure it on other nodes because there are many research papers available for indoor localization based on trilateration method which uses RSSI measurement on other nodes to track node location. Can you please let me know.

alok
Senior

Dear MH,

Today, the RSSI info is not provided on the application layer. To provide something specific for your requirement, let's discuss directly between us. Please write to us on stm.mobileapp@st.com

Thanks

MH1
Associate II

Hi @alok​ ,

I have been waiting for the email response since last week. I would like to know if you have evaluated the possibility of measuring RSSI in mesh network as discussed on email.

Thanks