cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Atollic TrueStudio generated a very large elf.bin output file

Vprabhu
Associate II

I am trying to generate the elf.bin file from my project which generates elf.hex of size 8329KB where as when i try to generate the elf.bin output it generated of size 30,35,513KB, why is this a too large size, how do i reduce it so that i can use this binary in other application

Attached a screenshot for the generated output files.

Thanks in Advance

4 REPLIES 4
Lead

> how do i reduce it ...

By not using BIN.

ELF, HEX or S19 have address specifiers, and don't need to dump-fill memory areas.

BTW, this queston had already been answered several time here.

A binary file is a single file, you clearly describe multiple memory regions to the linker, and these regions are separated by vast distances. Use a .HEX file it can better describe a sparse memory map.

For example ​0x10000000 and 0x20000000 are 256MB apart.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Vprabhu
Associate II

I am working on in application programming where as my flash size is 1MB , i need to dump my application binary of size below 960 KB(64KB i have my bootloader code), how do i do that , my application output size are mentioned in file

I'd take the .HEX file, or .ELF/AXF and package that into a compact binary form, based on my understanding of the memory map being used.

Perhaps you should look at the .DFU format, and tools for generating them.​

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..