cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

facing the difficulty of compiling the HAL code takes too long time.

Ark1
Associate II

Hi, i'm facing the difficulty of compiling the HAL driver codes takes nearly a 1:30 -3:00 min. So what should i do now?:sad_but_relieved_face:. it is quite a long compilation time for my application.

@Community member​ 

@Imen DAHMEN​ 

15 REPLIES 15
Lead

What hardware and OS, what toolchain ?

Sources located on network ?

In Keil uncheck options to generate Browse Information

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Ark1
Associate II

stm32f429 mcu , arm keil tool chain @Community member​ 

sorry for not mention this info

Ark1
Associate II

i don't get it what you said??

@Community member​ 

Lead

> ...stm32f429 mcu

No, I meant the PC hardware. Or do you run the compiler on the target ... 😉

If Windows, what does the task manager say while you build ?

Perhaps a picture?

0690X000006C84vQAC.jpg

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Jack Peacock_2
Senior III

3 minutes to compile, some irony there...Those who remember PDP-11s (literally 5000 times slower than a PC) and build times in hours also remember the solution was to compile invariant sections of code one time so that only the changed code was recompiled and linked. Through the miracle of automatic code generation we can once again relive the good old days of the mini-computer era.

I still use the old SPL, build time with parallel compile is about 10 seconds for a 128KB STM32L0 binary using a quad core and GCC. Even faster if I don't have to rebuild the SPL and FreeRTOS libraries.

Ranting aside, this is a good example of why not many other Cortex M vendors have gone the Cube route.

Jack Peacock

Lead

All modern toolchains I know implement an incremental build, which is usually enabled by default.

I tend to suspect some issues on the host PC.

And I met a lot of people in my career that carelessly edited Word documents over a network connection, or builds like that. And complained ...

@Community member​  yeah, it took a while to run QuickC on a 4.77 or 8 MHz IBM PC, generally sufficient that I could boil a kettle and make some tea or coffee.

Keil has some egregious issues with the browse information (at least in the 5.x compilers) where a rebuild of a HAL example might take several minutes, and perhaps 10x or 20x slower than necessary.

@Community member​ and the problem with compile/edit on networks often means a disagreement about time locally and remotely, and causing grief with make and incremental builds.