cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimal configuration of STM32F410RB to enable recognition/programming by ST-LINK/V2-1

DGold.11
Associate II

I've used a Nucleo-F410RB to develop my application. I'm now trying to minimally configure the chip (STM32F410RB) on a separate PCB breakout board (LQFP64 package) after studying the schematic diagram and specs in the Nucleo documentation. Sadly, I cannot get the separated ST-LINK/V2-1 to recognize the chip on my breakout. Have no problem getting the LINK to connect and program a separated Nucleo-F410RB.

Could anyone validate that the minimal connections to the chip (for it to be recognized by LINK programmer) would be as below (also shown in attached minimal schematic):

3.3V (VCC) connected to pins 1,13,19,32,48,64 (with 0.1uF caps as applicable)

GND connected to pins 12,18,30,31,47,63

4.7uF (Low ESR) connected to pin 54 and GND

10K resistor connected to pin 60 (BOOT0) and GND

SWCLK on CN7 of LINK to pin 49 (PA14)

SWDIO on CN7 of LINK to pin 46 (PA13)

NRST on CN7 of LINK to pin 7 (NRST)

VDD_TARGET on CN7 to 3.3V

GND on CN7 to GND

SWO on CN7 left unconnected

I have crystals as well that I've tried connected with pF caps to pins 5,6 & 3,4 (16MHz and 32KHz respectively), but are they required to have the chip recognized/programmed? I'm guessing there may be something silly I am missing here, but it's driving me mad. I've also attached an image of my minimal schematic here if useful. Any guidance someone could share would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

David

0690X000006C7KKQA0.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Unless I'm mistaken the VCAP 4.7uF capacitor should be on Pin 30, and be at 1.25V

https://www.st.com/resource/en/datasheet/stm32f410rb.pdf

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Check the voltage on the VCAP, and also NRST lines.

The crystals won't start automatically.

Secondary signs-of-life method is to pull BOOT0 High, and out of reset, use USART1 PA9/PA10 to send a 0x7F data pattern at 9600 8E1 and check for an 0x79 response.

Unless I'm mistaken the VCAP 4.7uF capacitor should be on Pin 30, and be at 1.25V

https://www.st.com/resource/en/datasheet/stm32f410rb.pdf

DGold.11
Associate II

You are awesome! Thank you so much for the help. As soon as I switched VCAP to pin 30 everything worked! I think I got confused since the nucleo manual has a label in schematic marked PB11/VCAP1 (even though it still shows pin 30), but I incorrectly connected the cap to PB11. I feel really dumb, but thank you again for the help! -David