cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird memory allocation issue, FreeRTOS, STM32F777II

Abhishek Kumar
Associate III

I am currently working on an embedded firmware development which uses FreeRTOS running on an STM32F777II microcontroller. Resource wise, I have around 10 tasks (total sum of stack size will be under 40 KByte) at the same priority, around 4 queues of 1KByte each, 4 binary semaphores. I know this would be an incomplete question without posting the actual code, but I really do not have any specific portion in my firmware that I think will be worth sharing related to my issue. I have a ton of business logic in my code which I cannot fully share as well.

I have a struct which consists of multiple char and int arrays of a specific length. 4 of the tasks uses these structures each. Each structure consumes around 15KByte of space and is defined in the global space of the FreeRTOS environment, not local to a task. The structs are allocated statically only and not dynamically on runtime. And since I initialize few members of the struct when declaring, so they go to the .data section only if I am not mistaken. Until now, there had been absolutely no problem whatsoever in my code and it worked 100% without any issue at all. Now I recently had a requirement where I had to add the same stuct to 2 more tasks. So, I added this 15KByte stuct to one of my tasks, basically just allocated and initialized and did not do any processing in any of the tasks. Observed no problems, nothing, no data corruption, nothing. Now when I allocated one more struct variable of the same type only, what I observe is data corruption in a lot of other places in my project. Some of the queues stopped working correctly and showed garbage data when read. Some of the other buffers also showed data corruption. I am really not sure why just one more variable allocation of this struct is triggering a lot of data corruption at other places in my project. If I remove this one allocation, everything goes back to normal. My MCU has 512KB of RAM and as per the IDE's build analyzer feature, it showed below 40% RAM usage, so what is triggering this issue, any suggestions to try? Could be because of some overlapping of .data or .bss sections or something? I did not observe any stack overflows or hard faults in the system during this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Abhishek Kumar
Associate III

Thanks @Community member​ ,

Hey, I randomly just disabled the D cache by commenting out the function:

SCB_EnableDCache();

and voila, everything started to function correctly as it should =) . Any guesses why enabling the D-Cache was triggering this issue?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

If you break the heap bad things can happen. The heap is typically described by a series of linked lists, if you overflow the buffer to heap become impossible to navigate.

I'd recommend you instrument stuff, and apply sanity checks liberally so you can pin down the corruption as early/tightly as possible.

With the CM7 I would be concerned about the behaviour of different memory regions, and cache coherency and write-back/thru.

Not a big fan of multiple global arrays of different names, I'd really prefer to pass around objects, so I could cut-n-paste code and reuse subroutines. Watch for typo's where you've missed name changes, or interactions within the call-trees.

If you have trace hardware, perhaps apply that here.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Abhishek Kumar
Associate III

Thanks @Community member​ ,

Hey, I randomly just disabled the D cache by commenting out the function:

SCB_EnableDCache();

and voila, everything started to function correctly as it should =) . Any guesses why enabling the D-Cache was triggering this issue?

>>Any guesses why enabling the D-Cache was triggering this issue?

Well it suggests you have latent issues with your coding.

You need to review the memory use, and regions of memory with different properties. Look at the buses, review any DMA usage, and MPU memory settings.

Review the correct usage of volatile memory directives, thread-safe operation, and cache-coherency issues.

Use memory fencing and cache flushing as appropriate.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Abhishek Kumar
Associate III

So what exactly happened, when I disabled the D cache?

>>So what exactly happened, when I disabled the D cache?

Things get slower, you see what's actually in memory rather than in the cache or pending write buffers.

Pretty sure you could find architectural details of the CM7 core, and cache coherency, if you were interested in understanding the mechanics.

Disabling the cache is not a good answer to the question, like turning off optimization, and code then magically working, it all points to not understanding the system properly.

On the F777 you should have 128KB of DTCM memory that isn't cached, it will behave differently to the other SRAM.