cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Board support package for STM3240G-EVAL board.

MRana
Associate II

Hi,

I am using Keil V5.26.2.0. Although I have installed DFP for my particular MCU, from where I may get bsp for my board. Please be gentle guys, I am pretty new to the world of MCUs.

Cheers and a happy day

Tahir

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Lead

A BSP, board support package, is a collection of firmware (sources, link libs) specifically for a board (controller/MCU + peripheral support chips).

It usually serves as a HAL (hardware abstraction layer) for implementing an OS.

DFP is a Keil-specific thing. A kind of basic headers and sources for a MCU family.

I think you will want either the STM3240G firmware package or CubeMX on top of the DFP.

I'm not a Keil uVision user, though.

BTW, they have a good support forum as well.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Lead

The term "BSP" is less in use here, it is more common in relation to support "real OSs" like Linux.

Anyway, there used to be a firmware package for this EVAL boards, based on ST's (now deprecated) Standard Peripheral Library, with lots of example projects. And as I remember, the Keil toolchain is directly supported.

Or you can download the hot, buggy and disk space squandering CubeMX package.

A search for the specific board on ST's site should bring up links to the according downloads.

MRana
Associate II

@Community member​  thank you sir for reply.

I am pretty new to MCUs(compulsion of my job), so please pardon me for my illiteracy.

So I don't need bsp for this board while using Keil? I am following a course, and that course uses some other microcontroller board. From that course I am under the impression that bsps and DFP are must for getting started.

Please elaborate a little, if possible.

Cheers

Tahir

Lead

A BSP, board support package, is a collection of firmware (sources, link libs) specifically for a board (controller/MCU + peripheral support chips).

It usually serves as a HAL (hardware abstraction layer) for implementing an OS.

DFP is a Keil-specific thing. A kind of basic headers and sources for a MCU family.

I think you will want either the STM3240G firmware package or CubeMX on top of the DFP.

I'm not a Keil uVision user, though.

BTW, they have a good support forum as well.

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

@OP Since you have a ST eval board and Keil, the Keil's DFP should have something that they call "Board support" for that board:

0690X000006C5oSQAS.png

This is all they have to offer. Basically they take this from demo software provided by ST,

but present in nice form with components and checkboxes.

If you have the original ST demo software, you can use that with Keil or any other IDE.

Indeed all this is confusing and takes time and effort to understand.

Good luck.

-- pa

MRana
Associate II

@Pavel A.​ 

Here is the photo, while I was staring the project. Although I could select the chip in the previous step, but I was not able to locate the board I am working with. That's why I was talking about *.bsp files. May be I am wrong. How will we be adding board support in our project, or we dont need that at all? Please see the picture below:

0690X000006C60dQAC.png

Lead

The STM3240G is an older eval board, the docs state 2011 as initial release.

You might check with the current Keil version if it is still supported (with DFPs). Perhaps at their forum.

MRana
Associate II

@Community member​ 

Yes sir, DFPs for the chip are supported, but the board is not supported( so far 🙂 )

Lead

As said, I would approach Keil - either via their forum, or per support mail.

But with the DFP for the MCU and ST's example code for the board (the SPL-based one's), you could start without.

Checked last week, the firmware package is still available on ST's site.

Try loading the legacy packs, this is a very old board.

Pretty sure there were examples in the uV4 trees, but likely deprecated in uV5 due to Keil's desire not to have to carry support for thousands of older boards from the last several decades.

Have CubeMX build you a template, or use the CubeF4 code trees.

STM32Cube_FW_F4_V1.21.0\Projects\STM324xG_EVAL\Demonstrations\STemWin

STM32Cube_FW_F4_V1.21.0\Drivers\BSP\STM324x9I_EVAL

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..