cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running realtime linux on STM32F7

Abhishek Kumar
Associate III
  1. Can we run real-time Linux on the STM32F7 series (particularly STM32F777II)?
  2. What all real-time Linux versions are available in the market today that can be chosen?
  3. What benefits does real-time linux will bring in on the MCU as compared to going for a RTOS like FreeRTOS, micrium RTOS, etc
  4. Will there be some latency, resource and determinism issues in this real-time linux environment?
9 REPLIES 9
Lead

> Can we run real-time Linux on the STM32F7 series (particularly STM32F777II)?

I don't think so.

Except, you accept something like the chemical industry's view of "realtime", i.e. seconds.

There is nothing but uCLinux available for that type of controllers.

Check the appropriate threads here and elsewhere.

David SIORPAES
ST Employee

You can find information on how to run uCLinux on STM32F4 and STM32F7 here: https://elinux.org/STM32

Lead

uCLinux is by no means a real-time OS.

Realtime Linux is a full-blown Linux kernel with RT patch(es) applied.

Not to mention that the F7 is woefully under powered and under resourced to do the job.

Development resources are with multi-core A series CPU, running in the GHz and memory in the GB.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
LMI2
Lead

How about a character based Unix. True Unix that is. We ran it on a PC with a few megabytes of ram a lot less clock pulses/s.

Depends on the task at hand, and what it brings to the party that can't be done with a clean bare metal app.

Generally in user interface and networking people have expectations of performance/responsiveness/polish like smart phones, and something that looks like it was built on Windows 3.1 is going to be viewed poorly.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
LMI2
Lead

Well, I wasn't 100% serious and Linux is a command line app. Who would use that on a router or anywhere.

David Littell
Senior III

Um, https://openwrt.org/, maybe?

Lead

A real Linux/Unix kernel requires a MMU and virtual memory - which the Cortex M does not have.

Hence only the uCLinux variant.