cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Torque dropping and erratic at low speeds with STEVAL-SPIN3201 (USING ST-SPIN32F0)?

Mark-S
Associate II

Why is torque falling at low speed?

I'm running the motor in torque and speed modes with a hall sensors.

The only problem I have is that something internal to the FOC software adjusts the torque down at (very) low and zero speed. I assume this is done to avoid the motor overheating.

Example:

I align and start the motor, it quickly spins up with lots of torque.

I apply some friction to the motor and it still maintains a high torque level.

I apply more and more friction, the speed falls as I apply more friction. At some point when the speed gets low the power draw gradually falls.

I force the motor to a complete stop, the power draw is almost zero. Almost zero torque obviously.

I let go of the motor, it spins up again.

At very low speeds when the torque (for some reason) drops, the motor is very unstable and jumps erratically back and forth.

So my questions are pretty simple:

- What is affecting my torque at low/zero speeds?

- How do I increase torque at low/zero speeds?

How do I achieve smooth speed control ant low speeds <100rpm? I have adjusted the Kp and Ki gains with no success.

Is the ST-SPIN32F0 capable of performingproperly at low speeds?

1 REPLY 1

Not sure there is strong motor support to be had here. For commercial projects you might want to connect with your local sales office, and an FAE with Motor support role.

common theme

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X00009kKabHSAS/helloi-am-evaluating-the-stevalspin3201-with-the-stspin32f0and-trying-to-achieve-very-low-speed-with-high-torque

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..