cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to start debugging STUSB4710AQTR based design

SBerl
Associate

I built STUSB4710AQTR design basing in evaluation board. I connected it to Microsoft Surface Go tablet which support USB 3.1 PD . However I don't see any negotiation through CC lane: only tablet send 16Hz .

Please advice what can be problem and how to start debugging this chip?

May be STUSB4710AQTR should be configured prior to start working?

Thank you in advance

1 REPLY 1
Gregory Go.
Senior II

Hello,

Does the Microsoft Surface Go tablet at least work with the STEVAL-ISC004V1 evaluation board ?

First, the STUSB4710 must be powered-on (on Vdd) to work.

Then, once you connect the USB-C cable to your board (CC pin attached), STUSB4710 will start broadcasting its Power capabilities on the CC pin.

The STUSB4710 is for a Power Source (DFP). It will only work in Power Delivery mode if connected to a Power Sink device (UFP), or a Dual Role Port application (DRP).

If you connect 2 Power Sources together, nothing will happen.

The NVM memory of the chip is pre-configured with default values during manufacturing (as seen in the datasheet). So it should be able to provide at least 5V (even if the other power profiles may not work if you don't configure the device properly first).

In any case, the STUSB47 will first monitor the input voltage before enabling it to VBUS lane. So if the chip doesn't measure 5V for instance, no power will be available on Vbus.

So make sure your USB-C input power (i.e the output of your power stage) is 5V at startup.

A way to debug the STUSB47 device, it is not use the Dashboard panel of the GUI, by connecting the I2C interface of STUSB4710 to the STM32 Nucleo board (NUCLEO-F072RB).

Like this you'll be able to see the current status of the chip, and understand what can be going wrong.

STSW-STUSB001 software GUI available here:

https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/embedded-software/evaluation-tool-software/stsw-stusb001.html