cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X-NUCLEO-IHM15A1 for motor having 5A stall current at 12V

N ORhan
Associate III

Hi everyone, since i'm new to motor control i have a beginner (i think) question. I'm looking for an expansion and nucleo board for my brush DC Motor(BDC). For expansion i find X-NUCLEO-IHM15A1 but it can power 1.5A for each motor. My motor has a stall current of 5A at 12V and 2.5A at 6V. Can i use this expansion board for this motor? What would happen if the motor is at stall current operation point? If i can't use this board, what would you suggest to use?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
N ORhan
Associate III

Is there anyone to give any answers to my question please?

Whether you can use this or not depends on what your running current of the motor is. Your motor shouldn't under normal operation operate anywhere near the stall current if you are using it properly. You an also change resistor values on the IHM15A1 board to adjust the current limits if desired.

If you are only using one motor in your application I would suggest putting the IHM15A1 Shield into "Parallel Mode" which will redirect all of it's current capability into a single motor. This will give you 3A of drive current for the single motor. For a motor with 5A stall current this would be easily do what you need it to do.

N ORhan
Associate III

Thank you very much for your help and suggestion Nicholas.