cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to begin with Murata Module and STM32 in general

NMeno
Associate II

Hi, I'm new in this world of ST. I have relative experience with Arduinos and LoRa, but now I want to do things with more resources. In particular, I am interested in the LoRa module from Murata and I bought the Discovery Kit B-L072Z-LRWAN1.

What I ask is a bit of guidance in this regard.

What IDE do you recommend? (I'm used to the Arduino IDE)

Where can I read things about it?

To program the B-L072Z-LRWAN1, I always prescribe the STLink or can I do it with a USB-Serial adapter?

A library to read a sensor (i2c for example) with the ide of Arduino can be used for this type of MCUs?

Any recommendation is welcome.

Thank you very much!

1 REPLY 1

Suggest you use Keil, there are free licenses for ST Cortex-M0 parts, and significant clowning around compared to GNU/GCC - Eclipse platforms. Mileage varies, pick something you like.

The I-CUBE-LRWAN software has projects compilable with Keil

https://www.st.com/en/embedded-software/i-cube-lrwan.html

Review, build and test the projects provided, review context of code with respect to Semtech stack

The ST-LINK is the best way to program debug.

You can use the BOOT0 pin to get into the System Loader, and it's USART/USB programming modes.

Review AN2606 and related doc for the functions/protocols.

https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/application_note/b9/9b/16/3a/12/1e/40/0c/CD00167594.pdf/files/CD00167594.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.CD00167594.pdf

You'll have to code routines in HAL to talk to I2C peripherals.

Not familiar with ARM CPU, review Technical Reference Manuals, and supporting books like Joseph Yiu's Essential Cortex-Mx series. ST also has Data Sheets, Reference Manuals and Programming Manuals, review/skim those to understand the lay of the land and where to find detail if you need it.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..