cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'd like to know if the sensor VL53L1X does detect smoke or any foggy in a close area.

BPONT
Associate

1 REPLY 1
John E KVAM
ST Employee

It does! We attempted to use it as a smoke detector and did some testing. Seemed to work, but the company I was doing the work for came up with a different ST sensor that was cheaper. I would not use the VL53L1X for this application. It's too expensive. Either the VL6180x or the VL53L0X are cheaper and would also work.

I placed the device in an existing smoke detector enclosure and used cigarette smoke. The range that had been very consistent goes down as expected.

If you use the VL53 products you get another feature. This sensor does not see water vapor. So steam should NOT set it off. (it uses 940nm light which is absorbed by water rather than reflected.) The VL6180X uses 850nm light, which does see water vapor - although please test that carefully. It might not see water vapor very well.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. It helps the next guy.