cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ARM Cortex M4 SVC interrupt causes usage fault

SMola
Associate II

I’m trying to write a context switch assembly on STM32F411E but I encounter a usageFault right after I make a second call to the SVC 0 (in my second task) instruction. The funny thing is the first task can make SVC calls just fine but the second task has issues. The logic for the first and second task is the same so not sure what's causing it. I'm thinking maybe my stack management is bad and so the stack becomes corrupted? I have no way or technique for verifying this hypothesis. I have no way of knowing what I am looking at when I do a stack dump, after the fault occurs.

Here are some of the status register values inside the UsageFault handler, after I make a call to SVC 0, in my second task:

CCR = 0x00000218 

HFSR = 0x40000000 

CFSR = 0x00000000 

DFSR = 0x0000000b 

BFSR  = 0x00000000

BFAR = 0xe000ed38 

AFSR = 0x00000000 

MMFSR = 0x00000000 

MMFAR = 0xe000ed34

Looks like DFSR might provide the biggest clue but I am still not sure what is causing this fault. Has anyone encountered a similar error and can anyone assist me with finding the source of this fault? Why would first call to SVC 0 (in task1) work but the second call to SVC 0 (in task2) fail? It's a bit confusing when CFSR is not telling me what the exact cause of the error because it just reads all zero (CFSR = 0x00000000 ) .

Here’s my context switch code:

/*************************************************** 

* activate 

* Description: context switch routine for tasks 

* Input: 

* Output: 

* Return: 

* Note: 

***************************************************/ 

activate:

cpsie i

mrs ip, psr 

push {r4, r5, r6, r7, r8, r9, r10, r11, ip, lr}

ldmfd r0!, {r4, r5, r6, r7, r8, r9, r10, r11, ip, lr}

msr control, ip 

isb 

msr psp, r0

/* jump to user task*/ 

bx lr

/*************************************************** 

* SVC_Handler 

* Description: 

* Input: 

* Output: 

* Return: 

* Note: supervisor call (handler mode) 

***************************************************/ 

.thumb_func 

SVC_Handler:

mrs r0, psp 

stmdb r0!, {r4, r5, r6, r7, r8, r9, r10, r11, ip, lr}

/* load kernel state */ 

pop {r4, r5, r6, r7, r8, r9, r10, r11, ip, lr} 

msr psr_nzcvq, ip

/* back to the thread mode if no other active exception */ 

bx lr

If I can even get some tips about how I can debug this (ie. any useful status registers or techniques ?) that would be appreciated. At this point I don't have enough information about the cause so maybe there is someone out there who understands ARM architecture better than me? I'm relatively new to ARM arch to be honest.

6 REPLIES 6
SMola
Associate II

bump

Jeroen3
Senior

What is on 0xe000ed38 ?

SMola
Associate II

@Community member​ I'm thinking the default value of BFAR register is 0xE000ED38 since the BFSR bits of CFSR register is all zero (BFSR = 0x00000000). In other words, I think the value at that register address (0xe000ed38) is irrelevant since the CFSR is reading zero for all its bit fields.

What do you think?

Jeroen3
Senior

"The BusFault Address Register contains the address of the location that generated a BusFault. See the register summary in Table 4.12 for its attributes."

http://infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.arm.doc.dui0553a/Cihbhdbc.html

SMola
Associate II

@Community member​ 

Table 4.30. BFAR bit assignments

Bits Name Function

[31:0] ADDRESS "When the BFARVALID bit of the BFSR is set to 1, this field holds the address of the location that generated the BusFault"

SMola
Associate II

The BFARVALID bit of the BFSR is set to zero so the given address shown by "BFAR" is not a valid address.