cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HAL CubeMX I2C slave NACK problem (STM32F446)

YBOUR
Associate II

0690X000006By7MQAS.pngTechnical environment :

-       Master : CM3 (Raspberry)

-       Slave : STM32F446

-       CubeMX : V4.23 (even tested with V4.26.1)

-       Normal transaction is : MASTER do a 4 bytes WRITE, then a 1 byte WRITE and at last, a 4 bytes READ.

The slave ACKed the WRITEs, but the READ command is NACKed by the slave (logic analyser view).

I have this problem when I have a delay (more than 1 ms) between the end of the second WRITE (STOP bit) and the HAL_I2C_Slave_Transmit_IT() call.

Without this delay, everything seems OK.

EDIT :

I’ve tested this same scheme on a :

•  new CubeMx I2C slave project on a STM32F302 board : the slave does a clock stretching with the same code. So, even with the delay, on the F302, the transaction will be OK.
  • new CubeMx I2C slave project on a NUCLEO F446RE board : same problem than our customer board...
  •  new CubeMx I2C slave project on a STM32F0308 - DISCO board : clock stretching is present, everything seems to be OK
  •  new CubeMx I2C slave project on a STM32F767 NUCLEO board : clock stretching is present, everything seems to be OK

The only differences seem to be the internal I2C peripheral and the CubeMX HAL driver.

6 REPLIES 6
Amel NASRI
ST Employee

Hi @YBOUR​ ,

Try to check the I2C1 registers content on debug mode:

• Is clock stretching enabled (NOSTRETCH = 0 in I2C_CR register)?
  • are there error flags set in I2C_SR registers?

I assume that stretch is supported by the master as it is working with STM32F3.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

YBOUR
Associate II

Amel,

• CR1 = 0x0401 (peripheral enable=1 + ACK enable=1 + NOSTRETCH=0) : seems OK
  • I've swaped the test on the other I2C peripheral : I2C1 => I2C3 : same result.
  • SR1 and SR2 = 0....

Regards,

Yvan

YBOUR
Associate II

@Amel NASRI​ 

Another new additionnal tests :

• new CubeMx I2C slave project on a NUCLEO F446RE board : same problem...
  •  new CubeMx I2C slave project on a STM32F0308 - DISCO board : clock stretching is present, everything seems to be OK
  •  new CubeMx I2C slave project on a STM32F767 NUCLEO board : clock stretching is present, everything seems to be OK

Yvan

Laurent BEYLY
ST Employee

Hi,

The ACK bit is only set after having called the HAL_I2C_Transmit_IT() or HAL_I2C_Receive_IT(). The ACK bit can not bit set before calling these functions, because they start by checking that the I2C bus is free (by testing the BUSY bit).

The FMPI2C1, present on the STM32F446 doesn't have the issue because the ACK has been replaced by a NACK bit in CR1 and the reset value allows to aknowlege in case of address match.

Best regards

Laurent

YBOUR
Associate II

Hi @Laurent BEYLY​ ,

Thanks for your answer and explanations. But at this point, we can not change the hardware link by using other pins.

It's a big problem for us...

Regards,

Yvan

Amel NASRI
ST Employee

Hello,

Please note that the fix is available in the patch 1.24.2 of STM32CubeF4 package (already available on the web).

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.