cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LIS3DH Full Scale Data Output

XSong.15
Associate

Hi,

I am reading data out from two LIS3DHs. All works as expected until the full scale is set to +-16g.

According to the data sheet, when FS is 11 and low power mode is enabled, each LSb in the data output registers represent 192mg. Low-power mode gives a 8 bit output in the OUT_X/Y/Z_H registers. The maximum value of a 8 bit 2's complement number is 127, and thus the data output registers can in theory show 127*192mg = 24g. This exceeds the +-16g threshold. Does this mean that in low-power mode and +-16g full scale, the number in the data output registers can never exceed 16000mg / 192mg = 83? I am getting values such as 127 and -128 from the data output registers, which don't make sense to me.

I believe my register configurations are correct, as I was able to read (0, 0, 5) when the accelerometer is placed flat on the ground. 5*192mg = 960mg, which is close enough to 1g considering the limited resolution.

Regards,

Kevin S

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Miroslav BATEK
ST Employee

The functionality of the accelerometer is guaranteed up to +-16g.

In case the acceleration is higher you can read more than 16g but the accuracy, linearity and overall performance is not guaranteed.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Miroslav BATEK
ST Employee

The functionality of the accelerometer is guaranteed up to +-16g.

In case the acceleration is higher you can read more than 16g but the accuracy, linearity and overall performance is not guaranteed.

XSong.15
Associate

Hi,

Thank you for the quick response. Just making sure I understand correctly, the accelerometer's data output does not cutoff at +-16g, but can go up higher. However any data outside of +-16g is not guaranteed to be accurate. Is my understanding correct?

Thank you,

Kevin S

Miroslav BATEK
ST Employee

Yes, your understanding is correct.