cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to get gps information using p nucleo lrwan1.

KKS
Associate II

I want to get gps information using p nucleo lrwan1. Can I get an open source that can help? I'll use the uart port.(gps)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The LoRa shield doesn't use the D0/D1 USART pins so you could stack in a GPS Shield. On the NUCLEO-64 you will likely need to modify the solder bridges so as not to conflict with the VCP-USART wiring.

The XCUBE-LRWAN code will need a bit of modification to support the USART. I've posted GPS/USART parsing/processing code several times, you could use that or code your own. Likely you want to extract position and send that in a small LoRa packet. The Ping-Pong example can be modified to be Location Pinging one.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

The LoRa shield doesn't use the D0/D1 USART pins so you could stack in a GPS Shield. On the NUCLEO-64 you will likely need to modify the solder bridges so as not to conflict with the VCP-USART wiring.

The XCUBE-LRWAN code will need a bit of modification to support the USART. I've posted GPS/USART parsing/processing code several times, you could use that or code your own. Likely you want to extract position and send that in a small LoRa packet. The Ping-Pong example can be modified to be Location Pinging one.

KKS
Associate II

Thank you for your reply. I am a beginner. Am I supposed to modify the example code? Is it an x-cube, not an i-cube? May I know the link to the code I need? (UIGGST02-R01 This is the gps module I'm trying to use)

Yeah, sorry the I-CUBE-LRWAN software would need to be the basis of any code you build

https://www.st.com/en/embedded-software/i-cube-lrwan.html

https://st-microelectronics.jiveon.com/message/196920-gps-nmea-decoder-demo-for-stm32f746g-disco

https://st-microelectronics.jiveon.com/message/69622?commentID=69622#comment-69622

Modifying the LRWAN software is going to be a bit of a heavy lift for a beginner. Perhaps try getting the GPS to work with the NUCLEO board first and have it parse the NMEA data and output over the VCP serial port to a terminal.

KKS
Associate II

Thank you. And what IDE should I use?

Whatever one suits your tastes. I don't like Eclipse, and would tend toward Keil, which can be freely licensed for ST CM0 parts. http://www.keil.com/stmicroelectronics-stm32/mdk

KKS
Associate II

Thank you. Which part do I need to fix with the code on the link? Is ping-pong an example? (I want to get the gps information of the board through 1: 1 communication without a gateway.)

It is a point-to-point example project

STM32CubeExpansion_LRWAN_V1.1.1\Projects\Multi\Applications\LoRa\PingPong\readme.txt

KKS
Associate II

How do I communicate with a board that is not connected to a PC? Do I need to link two boards with a program? Is there a manual for reference?

Semtech has assorted manuals, datasheets and app notes. Many LoRa modules use the same SX127x chips, so review whatever materials and stack documentation cover the angles of interest.

I think there is a presumption you have some familiarity with the processor, radios and tools.

Perhaps take smaller bites and familiarize yourself with driving GPIO and LEDs, and then with the USART, and then with parsing a data stream.

The ping-pong or other applications run on the Murata module, so you just need to power the boards once the program is downloaded.

The ping-pong program can both transmit and receive packets. You should perhaps strip out the main while loop and create one that transmits and another that receives. Ultimately the transmit node can us a USART to connect to a GPS receiver, and you can read the NMEA sentences, and then send a condensed message via the LoRa radio.