cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F407G-DISC1 board with debugger v2.0 can be powered from "anywhere", but STM32F407G-DISC1 board with debugger v2.1 needs power from a PC. Why?

arnold_w
Senior

I have two STM32F407G-DISC1 boards with the same firmware, one has debugger version 2.0 and the other has debugger version 2.1. The version 2.0 board always works perfectly, it doesn't matter if I plug the USB-cable into a mobile phone charger, battery pack charger, a USB-hub that is only connected to power (not connected to a PC), etc. However, my version 2.1-board will only boot up if I power it from my PC. Please note that there is never a need to open Eclipse/System WorkBench or anything else to make any board run, but the 2.1 version board will only run if it gets power from the PC. Why is there this difference? How can I make my 2.1-board run from "any" power source?

3 REPLIES 3

What versions of FIRMWARE are being used on each, perhaps flash with something current.

There were some issues around version 25 related to holding device in reset when not connected to a USB Host, ie a battery/charger

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
arnold_w
Senior

Upgrading the firmware using ST-LINK Utility solved the problem. Thank you for your help.