cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F446 MP3 Player MCU Usage

gokhannsahin
Associate II

Hi everyone, I'm developing an HMI with STM32F446. it has 800x480 display as well as a stack for communicating the devices with the CAN. Also, this stack must be updated in 4 milliseconds. Now also needing mp3 player and radio. For radio, a IC can be used but mp3 player is very complex. Could it do well the other operation such as transferring images/screen, updating I/O and stack if the MCU decodes the mp3 files itself? The decode operation takes a long time? Or how long does it take? If it takes a long time, can you suggest an IC for mp3 decoding?

4 REPLIES 4

Far too rambly... Lot of Cart before Horse issues here.

Surely you have staff to do part selection or due diligence? If it's you perhaps try to find someone with better estimating and implementation experience.

Wouldn't a multi-core ARM or something like a RPi be far better suited?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
gokhannsahin
Associate II

Actually, I tried the helix mp3 decoder. The decoding and playing time takes around 6 milliseconds (reading and transferring via DMA), but after changed for new one, then this time is 28 millisecond since the codec needs to re-initalize in order to avoid noises (in examples says that it needs re-initalize for new one). For our project, that time is pretty long and I have been tring to decrease it. We can't use multi-core Arm MCU because its price is above than our target price.

john doe
Lead

I have no direct personal experience with them, but here's another possible option

http://www.vlsi.fi/en/products.html

hagbard
Associate II