cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CUBE F3 V1.10 CAN change?

Bertrand1
Senior

Hello,

Where I can find a list of change with this version about HAL_CAN. The compatibility has been broken but there is an exhaustive list of modification?

Thanks

Bertrand

3 REPLIES 3

Seem to recall seeing a post the other week breaking down the new CAN model and differences.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @Bertrand​ ,

Please find below the main changes noted in the release note for the new HAL CAN driver:

CAN driver API's compatibility is broken:

• A new HAL CAN driver has been redesigned with new APIs, to bypass limitations on CAN Tx/Rx FIFO management present with previous HAL CAN driver version.
  • The new HAL CAN driver is the recommended version. It is located as usual in Drivers/STM32F3xx_HAL_Driver/Src and Drivers/STM32F3xx_HAL_Driver/Inc folders. It can be enabled through switch HAL_CAN_MODULE_ENABLED in stm32f3xx_hal_conf.h
  • The legacy HAL CAN driver is also present in the release in Drivers/STM32F3xx_HAL_Driver/Src/Legacy and Drivers/STM32F3xx_HAL_Driver/Inc/Legacy folders for software compatibility reasons. Its usage is not recommended as deprecated. It can however be enabled through switch HAL_CAN_LEGACY_MODULE_ENABLED in stm32f3xx_hal_conf.h

It would helpful to use a diff between the two versions to see the main changes.

Hope this helps you.

With Regards,

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
Bertrand1
Senior

Thanks for your reply :

To Clive : Not enough familiar with this new forum to find any question about it. I will make more effort next time 😉

To ST : I have obviously read the release note but it is a bit weak to understand whats means "limitations of CAN FIFO...". In the same time, the data structure has change...

At the end, I spent time to use this version ( because of a bug of CubeMX where it is difficult ( or not possible!?)  to revert to a previous FW version. I am wondernig if I have not forget to implement something with this new version even it seems to work up to now.