cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which IDE for new projects - AC6/SW4STM32 or Atollic TrueStudio?

Phil1
Associate II

Hi,

I'm doing tools selection for a new design, and as part of that need to specify the tools and IDE to be used.

It's come down to TrueStudio or SW4STM32.

Given that ST have bought Atollic (and thus Truestudio) -- and that SW4STM32 was (as I understand) kicked off as an ST project -- what is the likely future for both?

Is Atollic the favourite now? Or SW4STM32? Or both?

(I'd love an official ST answer to this question!)

From anyone who's used both -- Is there any reason to use Atollic over SW4STM32, or vice versa?

Dev tools are fairly standard, ST-Link/V2 programmers, STM32F3 Series parts. Nothing terribly unusual. It'd be nice to have support for the Segger tools but I can live with ST-Link if I need to 🙂

Thanks

Phil

4 REPLIES 4
T J
Lead

I recommend Visual Studio with GDB, but it cost $150 :(

There's a Segger J-LINK OB firmware for the ST-LINK devices.

Not a fan of Eclipse

Rowley CrossWorks?

>> what is the likely future for both?

Both might die? Depending on how much money you want to throw at either, to buy, and then retain talent. And they have also bought the graphic library vendor. The STM32 got to huge volumes without needing to actual own a tool-chain, and with a lot of devices that are head-less.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
henry.dick
Senior II

minimum (practical) differences between the two - almost to the point of them being identical.

with st ownership, however, I would expect continued support of new ST devices by atollic. so unless you have a particular reason to use sw4stm32, i would go with atollic.

my favorite is coide for personal projects and keil / iar for paid work.

​I highly, highly, highly recommend against VisualGDB. I consider the $89 that I spent on it to be completely wasted money. The debugger is awful, almost totally useless - Random hangs, inability to reliably step through code, debugging interrupt routines is a nightmare. I haven't touched VisualGDB in months. Rowley CrossWorks directly interfaces to the JTAG hardware via library calls and thus is infinitely more solid and reliable than the half-baked OpenGDB server connection that VisualGDB uses. And I say that as someone who loves Visual Studio.

Considering that most embedded developers spend a significant amount of their time in the debugger, I consider it money well spent to have good tools.