cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Booting process of STM32 MCU

VDesa
Associate II

Dear All,

I am new to ARM microcontrollers and about to start working on some application. Please explain me the complete boot process of STM32L476RG controller.

1. Who has to write the boot code? If the answer is the programmer, what he has to write exactly and where he has to write? Why cant we simply put his code in ROM?
  2. Explain me the functionality of BOOT0 and BOOT1 pin. What do they do?
3 REPLIES 3

Could you just read some manuals rather than have others read them to you? ARM makes a number of Technical Reference Manuals (TRM) that are arguably pretty complete.

https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/programming_manual/6c/3a/cb/e7/e4/ea/44/9b/DM00046982.pdf/files/DM00046982.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00046982.pdf

The STM32 parts contain ROM, RAM and FLASH, the BOOTx pins control where execution is directed. You'd write your own code, with the usual Cortex-M4 vector table, such that is is placed at 0x08000000 in the memory map.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
VDesa
Associate II

Thank you for responding me. I will go through the link. Please clarify my below doubts

1. If the user code is placed at 0x08000000, then whether the booting sequence operations like initialising the MCU, clock and other stuffs will not happen?
  2. BOOTx pins are given for writing secondary boot loader?
VDesa
Associate II

Hello,

I am not getting anything in the link that you have provided. Please help.