cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Trasmit messages because CAN is always in state HAL_CAN_STATE_LISTENING?

themole
Associate II

Currently I'm trying to get CAN up and running on a STM32F469NIH6 based Board using the CubeMX libraries.

Unfortunately, the documentation of the new HAL_CAN driver is very limited. I found an example in STM32Cube_FW_L4_V1.12.0\Projects\STM32L476G-EVAL\Examples\CAN\CAN_Networking\Src\main.c, but even with identical code (except the clock settings), it is not working, because the frame I added with HAL_CAN_AddTxMessage(&hcan1, &txHeader, data, &txMailbox) is not being sent, possibly because of the HAL_CAN_STATE_LISTENING.

My RX and TX lines (to the CAN-Transceiver) are both in HIGH-State (3.3V) and they keep being there when trying to transmit. CAN_H and CAN_L itself is in High-Z state, both lines are around 2V, Vdiff = 0V

Is there anything I can do wrong? Any suggestions how to debug this down to the problem?

5 REPLIES 5
T J
Lead

Are you running a line driver with a terminator ?

is there another device on the canBus ?

themole
Associate II

Yes, both ends are terminated with 120 Ohms and I run with a ISO1050 Transceiver from Texas.

Yes, there is another devices, that sends something when I switch the system on.

I have some very old firmware running on that board (using the old ST Standard Libraries), that where able to send something.

T J
Lead

I use this method to transmit.. checking all three mailboxes manually.

if ((CAN->TSR & CAN_TSR_TME0) == CAN_TSR_TME0) // (1) 
{ 
    CAN->sTxMailBox[0].TDTR = canTxMsgLength[canTxMsgOUT];      // (2) length
    CAN->sTxMailBox[0].TDLR = canTxMsgBottomWord[canTxMsgOUT]; // (3) 4bytes
    CAN->sTxMailBox[0].TDHR = canTxMsgTopWord[canTxMsgOUT];   // (3) 4bytes
    CAN->sTxMailBox[0].TIR  = ((uint32_t)canTxMsgID[canTxMsgOUT] << 21 | CAN_TI0R_TXRQ); // (4)  // send it now if the line is idle
}

if ((CAN->TSR & CAN_TSR_TME1) == CAN_TSR_TME1) // (1) 
if ((CAN->TSR & CAN_TSR_TME2) == CAN_TSR_TME2) // (1) 

AlexF
Associate II

I have the same problem with my STM32F437ZI

@themole cuold you solve it?

Can somebody solve the topic with the HAL interface?

Bertrand1
Senior

I have some time the same probleme. It works for a long time after but some times, Tx buffers become full. After a reset, all is working fine without any change in term of hardware. So I should solve this issue with software.

I check if tx mailbox are full with HAL_CAN_GetTxMailboxesFreeLevel(pcan);

If not, I clear wiht this HAL_CAN_AbortTxRequest(pcan, 0); HAL_CAN_AbortTxRequest(pcan, 1); HAL_CAN_AbortTxRequest(pcan, 2); but it not solved or partialy ( the fault occurence is less)

The fact that the state in HAL_CAN_SATE_LISTENING seems to not be the issue.

Thanks for your advise.

Bertrand