cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems getting VL53L1X_GUI to work with X-NUCLEO-53L1A1 and STM32F401

dconrad
Associate

I'm trying to get the VL53L1X GUI to work with the VL53L1X evaluation board on Windows 10 and have hit a roadblock. I've successfully installed the STSW-IMG008 software, installed the drivers with STSW-link009, and have updated the Nucleo's firmware with STSW-link007.

However, I get a "Failed To Connecto to Nucleo Board: Com Port Not Detected" error in the GUI program. When I try to program the device with the "Flash Fw" button, I get "Sensor Not Detected. COM84 Connected: Please ensure sensor connected then Press Black Reset Button on the Nucleo." Pressing the black reset button doesn't do anything - none of the LEDs on the board change at all when pressing it.

Under the Device Manager, the device is listed as STMicroelectronics STLink Virtual COM Port and the device shows up as a USB storage device labeled NODE_F401RE, so I believe I have the drivers correctly installed.

I can drag the VL53L1X_RangingExample bin file onto the device and read the serial output from the sensor via TeraTerm, so I know the sensor itself is working.

Hopefully I'm just missing something super obvious, but I would like to get this working so we can move forward with testing the performance of this sensor in our application. Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
dconrad
Associate

Update: I tried the GUI software on a Windows 7 laptop and it successfully flashed the firmware and is working. Here's the order I did things in:

1. Plug in Nucleo board
  2. Install STSW-link009
  3. Install STSW-IMG008 (as administrator)
  4. Click "Flash Fw" (this had to be done a couple of times before it "took" for some reason?)

I also disabled AutoPlay, not sure if that had anything to do with it but it was annoying having it pop up with the mass storage device every time.

So at this point it would appear that it's not working in Windows 10 - I went back to my main computer and removed and reinstalled the device drivers, it still doesn't work there. That's not as big of a deal now with it working on at least one computer though.

LJian.13
Associate

I am having the same problem on a windows 10 computer

PNewm.1
Associate II

I am having the same problem on my Windows 10 workstation and cannot get my X-NUCLEO-53L1A1 expansion board to work. I am able to view the data on AccessPort terminal program over COM3, so clearly its working. There just seems to be a problem with running the VL53L1X_GUI program on Windows 10. I am using a Nucleo-F446RE dev board.

PNewm.1
Associate II

Update, I have:

Installed STSW-IMG008 (as admin) I did get the VL53L1X_GUI to work on Windows 10 but it still says: Failed to Connect to Nucleo Board: Com Port Not Detected.

Installed STSW-LINK007 is the firmware upgrade application for ST-LINK, ST-LINK/V2, ST-LINK/V2-1, and STLINK-V3 boards through the USB port.

Installed STSW-Link009 is the USB driver for ST-LINK/V2, ST-LINK/V2-1 and STLINK-V3 boards (run stlink_winusb_install.bat in administrator mode as per readme).

Disabled AutoPlay in Windows 10.

Still not working.

GDura.1
Associate

SOLUTION FOUND:

I had the same problem as described before with the VL53L1X_GUI stating "Sensor not detected".

In the VL53L1XGUI installation path you will find a file "VL53L1X_PSNRun_F401.bin" in the "Resources" subfolder. In the STM32CubeProgrammer application select this file, specify an address offset of 0x08000000 and flash it on your STM32F401RE Nucleo board. After closing the STM32CubeProgrammer and starting VL53L1XGUI everything works fine. Obviously, flashing the VCP-I2C bridge software via the VL53L1XGUI doesn't work, so do it with the STM32CubeProgrammer instead. Have success