Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to select an Operational Amplifier?

Anthony BOIMOND
Associate III
Posted on November 18, 2011 at 15:17

Dear Forum Members,

I�d like to share a few tips on the usual process I use to select an Op Amp based on pre-defined technical requirement.

The tool I use more often is the product selector, which can be accessed by clicking on the following icon from ST home page:

0690X00000602OiQAI.bmp

Then select in the product tree: �Amplifiers and Comparators� > �Amplifiers�.

Here is also direct link to the

http://www.st.com/stonline/stappl/productcatalog/app?page=productSelector

:

The next step is then to use the �Filter Panel� in order to refine the technical requirements.

0690X00000602fAQAQ.jpg

Tip1: use the arrows 0690X00000602O5QAI.bmp  to see all the filtering parameters.

Tip2: use the 0690X00000602PWQAY.bmp  icon close to the parameter name to toggle the filter type between �tick case� and �slider�.

In my typical Op Amp selection, I would firstly apply filter on the more obvious (and restrictive) parameters, like voltage rating �Vcc�, �number of channel� or �automotive grade�.

Then once the selection is narrowed to a limited number of components, I would use the sorting option, by clicking on the parameter. A red arrow indicated if the list is sorted by ascending or descending order.

For instance sorting by maximum supply current: 0690X00000602OsQAI.bmp

In this case, the sorting option helps to address the Icc / GBW trade off.

Don�t hesitate to let us know your comments about the product selector and if there are additional features you would like to see implemented.

Best regards.

#comparison-operational-amplifier #product-selector-op-amps-filter
3 REPLIES 3
jean239955
Associate
Posted on November 20, 2011 at 23:07

Hello,

I use several operational amplifiers from different suppliers in my designs.

How can I find equivalent operational amplifiers from STMicro?

Thank you.

Anthony BOIMOND
Associate III
Posted on November 22, 2011 at 16:59

Dear Jean,

In order to select an equivalent Operational Amplifier from ST portfolio, you can either:

- use the product selector as explained in previous post, by typing in your technical requirements

or

- use the cross reference tool provided in ST website.

To find the cross reference: go first to ST home page, select the ''Search'' tab on top-right of the screen, type your target device in the ''cross reference'' field.

0690X00000602fFQAQ.jpg

Best regards.

Anthony BOIMOND
Associate III
Posted on November 29, 2011 at 11:29

Dear Forum Members,

Another tip in your operational amplifier selection process: you may need to compare two or more devices, and ST website has a dedicated feature for this.

Here?s how to proceed: first go to the product selector as explained before

Then click on the comparison icon located on the bottom right of the table.

0690X00000602gmQAA.jpg

This action opens a panel on the right where you may drag and drop the components you want to compare. Once this is done, click on the ?compare? button. 

0690X00000602fpQAA.jpg

You get the parametric comparison of devices with differences highlighted in bold.

0690X00000602fKQAQ.jpg

Hope this can help!

Best regards.