nwebster
Associate II
Posted on April 10, 2008 at 18:37

External FLASH with the STM32

5 REPLIES 5
jas
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:27

How about a micro SD card on the SPI port ?

Cheap and small.

Store the logs as a file that can be read into a PC, say in excel format.

Then you can write all sorts of macros to extract the data you need, statistical analysis, graphs etc.

nwebster
Associate II

We are looking at using the STM32 for a data logging application and need to store a large volume (around 1Gbit) of collected data. From what I can see, the STM32 does not support parallel interface into FLASH and any serial FLASH devices I have found are very small (max is 128M). This must be a fairly common issue and I am curious what solutions people have found to this problem.

nwebster
Associate II

Thank-you for the reply.

This would be a good solution but we were specifically looking for a packaged, leaded device that can be soldered directly to the board to improve reliability and reduce product cost

bart_hicguet
Associate II

Hi,

The new devices will have a memory interface.

Have a look at

http://www.best-arrow.com/2_STM32CortexUpdate MAR08.pdf

for the new devices which are in beta test right now.

Cheers,

Bart

bart_hicguet
Associate II

Forgot to mention that the for 1Gb, NAND flash might be the cheapest solution.

These days, you have managed NAND ICs with embedded NAND controller with MMC interface. As you might know, the MMC interface also works with a SPI interface.

I know Micron and Numonyx have these managed NANDs wich you can use with your SPI interface.

Have a look at

http://www.numonyx.com/Documents/Datasheets/NANDxxGAH0x.pdf

The new STM32 devices should also be able to connect NAND flash with the FSMC you can see in the presentation (see link previous post). Multiple NOR flashes are of coarse also an option.

Cheers,

Bart