cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question for STOne or anyone from ST (about USB and allocating PIDs)

pandoraems
Associate II
Posted on February 17, 2009 at 09:15

question for STOne or anyone from ST (about USB and allocating PIDs)

27 REPLIES 27
pandoraems
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:55

Hi

I was curious if ST supports people making new designs with their microcontrollers by letting them use ST's PIDs for USB communication, until the people can afford their own VIDs

It is important for enthusiasts to overcome the barriers getting into the industry of making devices commercially.

Now that usb.org has threatened online stores who sell their PIDs with a lawsuit, there appears to be no other way but to shell out the $2K up front to usb.org for a VID.

I know Microchip lets people use their PIDs for designs that use their chips (perhaps other companies). I think it would be great if ST follows this practice too, encouraging startups to use ST's chips for their designs.

below is the link to microchip's free PID request form with all the rules and such - sounds very reasonable

http://www.microchip.com/stellent/groups/sitecomm_sg/documents/market_communication/en025058.pdf

EDIT: here is a link to similar program from FTDI

http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm

Thanks

[ This message was edited by: pandoraems on 10-12-2008 20:53 ]

[ This message was edited by: pandoraems on 10-12-2008 23:54 ]

16-32micros
Associate III

Dear pandoraems,

I acknowledge the reception of your query regarding sub-licensing USB PIDs and using ST VID : 0x483, I will check with my colleagues, Legal departement and of course with USB.org administrator regarding our Membership agreement and let you know what we can offer for this ''Bonus'' Free 🙂 service in 2009, to let you enter USB and STM32 world in a convenient way without barriers.

Cheers,

STOne-32.

jj
Associate II

Dear STOne-32,

Your response is quick, considered and caring - thank you - much appreciated.

Many of your forum contributors share ''pandoraems'' request for eased PID/VID - again thanks for your efforts...

pandoraems
Associate II

Thank you for your reply STOne

If ST authorities who decide this need more prodding/convincing, we can perhaps initiate a poll/petition to show that indeed many stm32 enthusiasts would benefit from this and that it will not be a wasted effort on ST's part. I am sure that among this and the stm32circle forum (http://www.stm32circle.com/forum/index.php) there will be a lot of voters for this.

paulsmitton9
Associate II

Hi STOne,

Is there any news on sublicensing a Product ID from ST yet?

This would be quite helpful.

Cheers,

Paul.

pandoraems
Associate II

Hi

Any updates on this?

This would make a great present for the New Year's for the community

Cheers!

16-32micros
Associate III

Hi all,

Since most of people are in vacations period these days, I will let you know in January 2009 what is the status regarding PIDs allocation.

My best wishes for 2009 !

Cheers,

ST1.

mudrovc
Associate II

Some news?

mudrovc
Associate II

UP