Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F373 SDADC (Sigma-Delta ADC)

jim_wei
Associate II
Posted on March 18, 2014 at 03:12

Hello,

I am planning on using the SDADC in STM32F37x microcontroller.  The data sheets says the sampling frequency is between 500 kHz ~ 6 MHz, depending on the clock signal driving the SDADC.  The output data rate is 4.167 ksps ~ 50 ksps accordingly.  So it appears that the over sampling rate is 120.  But the data sheet never says so.  In between these two points, I can drive the SDADC with a clock signal derived from the system clock and get a output data rate of 1/120 of the frequency of the driving clock signal.  Am I correct?  Thanks for your input.

Jim

#stm32f373-sdadc
4 REPLIES 4
raptorhal2
Lead
Posted on March 18, 2014 at 14:12

The data sheet says the SDADC clock frequency is 0.5 to 6 MHz.

The output data sampling rate scales with clock frequency.

Cheers, Hal

Amel NASRI
ST Employee
Posted on March 19, 2014 at 09:59

Hi Jim,

Your analysis is correct: there is a fixed oversampling ratio 120 (input sampling frequency vs. output data rate). Input sampling frequency is the SDADC clock which you may set by software.

-Mayla-

Hello,

I am planning on using the SDADC in STM32F37x microcontroller.  The data sheets says the sampling frequency is between 500 kHz ~ 6 MHz, depending on the clock signal driving the SDADC.  The output data rate is 4.167 ksps ~ 50 ksps accordingly.  So it appears that the over sampling rate is 120.  But the data sheet never says so.  In between these two points, I can drive the SDADC with a clock signal derived from the system clock and get a output data rate of 1/120 of the frequency of the driving clock signal.  Am I correct?  Thanks for your input.

Jim

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

roland2
Associate
Posted on May 07, 2015 at 12:59

Is there some undocumented low-pass or filtering inside the SDADC?

Example: The SDADC is driven at 6MHz single channel 50ksmpls for two SDADC-units. This means every 20µs took one sample.

The ADC's became now two signals: one pwm readback and one RC-lowpass answer. The rising edge of both signals are faster than 10µs.

The ADC's now samples the signals as rising for 3 samples, this means 60µs.

That is a major fault!

How can i avoid this to get the real signal read?
Igor Cesko
ST Employee
Posted on May 25, 2015 at 11:11

In the SDADC is used Sinc filter with order 3 and oversampling 120. Therefore the rising edge is 3 samples. For continuous mode we must count with those 3 samples ''spreading'' if is used FAST mode (FAST=1).

In continuous mode with FAST=0 is data rate Fsdadc/360.

In continuous mode with FAST=1 is data rate Fsdadc/120 (but ''spreading'' of output data).