cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't reliably sense stalling using L6470 chip

wshowalter
Associate II
Posted on October 22, 2013 at 20:37

I've been quite successful at controlling the L6470 stepper driver chip from my embedded ARM processor for all features other than the sensorless stall detection feature. I'm hoping that I'm missing something and that someone can point that out to me. I've been all over this forum and every scrap of ST documentation I can get my eyes on.

When I try to detect stalling, the detection threshold seems to be very sensitive; at one current setting the chip never detect any stalls, and at the next increment of stall threshold current the chip always shows stalling. This pretty much makes the feature unusable, so I'm not using it. I would really like to be able to use this feature, since we can't afford to put encoders everywhere. Also, it's one reason we picked the driver chip, so it will be disappointing if we can't use that feature.

Am I missing something obvious? Is there more documentation around this feature other than what is contained in the L6470 datasheet?

Thanks,

Wayne
3 REPLIES 3
Gigi
Senior
Posted on January 02, 2014 at 09:49

Dear Wayne

I suggestpost this thread in the

https://my.st.com/public/STe2ecommunities/motordriver_ics/Lists/Motor%20Driver%20ICs%20and%20Boards/AllItems.aspx

forum.

Thanks

Ciao

Gigi

msmith
Associate II
Posted on July 24, 2014 at 15:22

Hi Wayne,

Were you able to resolve this issue? I have the same problem.

Thanks,

Mark

msmith
Associate II
Posted on September 09, 2014 at 13:55

Hi,

No, I was not able to solve this problem. Have you had any luck?