cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exprienced but new to STM32 with questions

hstewartllc
Associate
Posted on May 14, 2013 at 04:41

Ti has dropped its M3 Stellaris line. Their new M4 does not have I2S or extended memory controllers. It takes time to know a product line, which parts are up and coming, which ones to avoid, and which tool set. I'm starting over here and hope to find a short cut or two.

The questions:  

The STM32F207 looks like a good candidate, I see a eval board for it. We do not need Ethernet or EMM on the first project but do need I2S, 2 SPI, >64k RAM and =>50 MHz clock. Is this a good choice?

+

What about IDE's? Ti Code Composer was Eclipse based, is there something similar for ST32? I like IAR but the $4k is steep and for a commercial app I can't use Kick-Start.

+

The ST-Link/V2 looks like a bargain. Is it?

Hello everyone and thanks for nay help you can give me making the transition.

6 REPLIES 6
frankmeyer9
Associate II
Posted on May 14, 2013 at 10:02

Is this a good choice?

As usual, this depends on your requirements.  And as always, the price goes up with functionality.

I suggest to study some reference manuals of ST's M0/M3 families. But be warned, ST does not follow the all-in-one approach of TI. There are several ''datasheets'' that describe the actually available peripheral components, housings, pin assignments and electrical data.

But generally, the F2 family has several members to fit into your description.

What about IDE's? Ti Code Composer was Eclipse based, is there something similar for ST32?

Not in a way similiar to TI. ST does not provide any ''own'' toolchain.

But taking the provided software samples from ST (which are CMSIS-based by the way, in difference to TI/LM's proprietary StellarisWare), there is direct support for the usual suspects, such as Keil uVision, IAR WB, Atollic TrueStudio and Altium Tasking. This examples contain ready-to-start projects for those.

The Atollic toolchain is Eclipse based, and its projects can be used for any other Eclipse based IDE/toolchain as well (say, CodeRed, CodeSourcery WB, or the free Yagarto).

And adding Ride 7 and Crossworks here, just to be more complete.

And, just like IAR, others provide free & limited versions as well.

While the choice of IDE is often a matter of taste, in regard of code density and efficiency the Keil toolchain is clearly the leader. The price, however, is similiar to IAR.

I agree here, especially with the inexpensive discovery boards. Only there is none for the F207 ...

Andrew Neil
Chief II
Posted on May 14, 2013 at 11:15

''other Eclipse based IDE/toolchain as well (say, CodeRed, CodeSourcery WB, or the free Yagarto)''

Note that CodeRed has just been bought by NXP - so there is some doubt as to whether or to what extent they will continue to support non-NXP parts...

''the Keil ... price, however, is similiar to IAR''

But note that the free ''Lite''  Keil version

is

allowed for commercial use.

Keil now have a specific Cortex-M only version,  in addition to the Basic and Pro MDKs - so I don't know which one you're referring to for your IAR comparison...

http://www.keil.com/arm/selector.asp

frankmeyer9
Associate II
Posted on May 14, 2013 at 11:31

But note that the free ''Lite''  Keil version

is

allowed for commercial use.

But the 32k size limit most often disqualifies for commercial use.

Keil now have a specific Cortex-M only version,  in addition to the Basic and Pro MDKs - so I don't know which one you're referring to for your IAR comparison...

Well, possible worth to check the Keil website. I don't do that so often.

And if I got the OP right, he is out for a commercial toolchain. If such a Cortex-M-only toolchain fits his needs, why not.

My guess, it is Keils reaction on permanent customer complains about their pricing scheme.

Posted on May 14, 2013 at 11:55

The ST-Link is pretty good, though it does lack, on occasion, the commercial polish of the J-Link and U-Link offerings. The Discovery boards are also quite adequate/effective at quick solution mashups, and there are plenty of eBay boards that could be used at a fraction of the ST-EVAL boards. Indeed no F2 Discovery, but I'm pretty sure you could replace the chip on the F4 one, and the F2/F4 are pretty similar in function.

Eclipse and GNU/GCC are workable, debugging might be fun. Rowley has a good offering. Keil has a cheaper 256K version for $2700. Last time I looked at IAR it was $5-6K, and GHS $10-20K
Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Andrew Neil
Chief II
Posted on May 14, 2013 at 13:12

''Keil has a cheaper 256K version for $2700''

Is that the ''Standard'' or ''Cortex-M'' product?

They no longer state code size limits on the Product Selector (apart from the 32K Lite)
hstewartllc
Associate
Posted on May 15, 2013 at 16:21

I appreciate the inputs from everyone. I'm looking at the STM3221G-EVAL board and the STM32F207ZFT6. It has the SRAM, I2S, SPIs in a pinned package for a quick PCB turn, with a small BGA for later. It is overkill but for initial development I prefer all the options and speed enough a serial console doesn't get in the way. I'm leaning towards Keil MDK Pro unless they have a fair upgrade path from standard, and plan to pick up a J-Link either way.

I have current Altium licenses and see it mentioned above. I like it for PCB layout but have never looked into its C or VHDL capabilities. I have always assumed they were a watered down afterthought. I must say the TASKING web site looks interesting.

Has anyone used the ARM tools (TASKING VX-toolset) Altium provides?