cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8.1 Tablet, STLink Driver Issue

aerospacengineer
Associate II
Posted on January 10, 2014 at 05:35

I cannot seem to get the STLink driver to install on my Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet.  When I try and install it gives an error.  I have made sure to ''Run as Administrator'' when attempting to install.  The error in the driver installation wizard is simply ''Install Failed''.  So I then tried to go into the device manager and force it to update the driver there.  I point it to the correct location and the error that I get is ''A problem was encountered while attempting to add the driver to the store.''  Does anyone have any ideas?  I am using the correct signed driver (download stsw-link006).

As to why would anyone want to use a small tablet, it is really great for when you are traveling and need to travel light.  If I can get this to work, then I will be able to do the rest of what I need to do. 

Thanks,

Adam
6 REPLIES 6
S C
ST Employee
Posted on January 10, 2014 at 11:28

Hello,

I may suggest at least 2 clues that are required by STLink USB driver:

- check that winusb is available on this system (what is the processor archictecture of this tablet ?). If not try to get the right version from Microsoft

- check that the Verisign Class 3 public certificate is installed (despite the error message should be more explicit if missing). If not try to get it from Symantec

No idea about what may come from Windows 8.1 (excepted that it installs successfully on Windows 8.1 on PC if this can help investigating)

Best regards

Posted on January 10, 2014 at 12:13

Try this one, it's the signed one from the STM32F429I-DISCO seminar

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7OY5pub_GfIYnljNWtMYXgtNkU/edit?usp=sharing

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
aerospacengineer
Associate II
Posted on January 10, 2014 at 19:40

I will take a look, but I believe that winusb should be available as it is win 8.1-32bit for Intel.  The processor architecture is x86 being a quadcore Atom processor. 

I will take a look at the other things that you suggested later tonight and report back.

aerospacengineer
Associate II
Posted on January 10, 2014 at 19:43

I will give that one a try.  Thanks!

aerospacengineer
Associate II
Posted on January 10, 2014 at 20:04

I tried this one just now and it did not work.  It gave the same issue.  I think that it is the same driver as the one that I was trying.  Thanks again though.

aerospacengineer
Associate II
Posted on January 11, 2014 at 01:56

I was able to get it to install, though I had to sign into Windows to install it as an unsigned driver.  Once I did this, then all was happy, though not ideal because to sign in to Windows 8.1 and restart so that you can use an unsigned driver on this tablet means that you need to type in an almost 30 character passcode that you get after signing into another account.

Once I got it to install, though, I was able to use CoIDE to download code to the device.