Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IAR debug mode

mouna8154
Associate II
Posted on June 06, 2013 at 09:09

Hi everyone,

I'm doing many programming in IAR with stm32f3 discovery.

And i have many difficulties in the understanding of the ''disassembly'' and ''register'' windows when i download and debug the program.

Can you help me ? or give me some explaining links

Thanks for all your help.
3 REPLIES 3
mouna8154
Associate II
Posted on June 06, 2013 at 09:25

i joined a printscreen of an spi example.

crt2
Associate II
Posted on June 06, 2013 at 11:15

What kind of problems?

I am not working with IAR but I'll try to explain in plain words...

As you know C code translates into assembly code and disassembly window there provides you list of assembler commands for each C line. This shows you that a simple read register is composed of more assembler commands. It also provides you insight on how your code assembles (for example sometimes while(1) or while(i--) with high optimisation is not assembled at all)

Register window is probably there to provide you with insight on what is currently written in each register. Then you need to dig into documentation to see what each bit in there means.

Maybe you need to ask a bit more exact question - as that will make it easier to answer.

Posted on June 06, 2013 at 13:19

Can you help me ? or give me some explaining links

Go get a technical reference manual for the core, abook like Joseph Yiu's which gives a alternate perspective, and a book on ARM assembly language. Read and Digest.
Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..