cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F3 Discovery Running Code

mattfox
Associate II
Posted on June 18, 2013 at 20:47

This is a really basic question, but I'm just starting out on this board. I've been able to run programs through the Debug interface of ST-Link in Eclipse.  Now I'm trying to get printf working with USART2, so I need the miniB cable attached to the breakout board I'm attaching to the board pins for Tx and Rx which means I can't really run through Debug mode because ST-Link needs the MiniB cable attached only to the ST-Link USB and not to the breakout board.  

I was wondering how to run a program that is loaded onto flash memory without using Debug mode.  I'm assuming there should be some easy way to run a program via one of the buttons or something, but i'm pretty clueless.  The board is being powered through the breakout board I'm using.  

Thanks for the help in advance!
2 REPLIES 2
Posted on June 18, 2013 at 21:18

The question is a bit awkwardly stated.

You don't have to run through the debugger, you write the code to flash, it runs when power is applied, the power is derived from the ST-Link USB interface, and also shares the 8 MHz crystal from the F103 device.

I know nothing of your break-out board or it's requirements, or why that precludes you from powering the ST-Link USB connector.

Depending on the tool chain piping printf() data out the USART requires replacement of putchar(), or other semi-hosting changes. On Keil it's also reasonably easy to pipe the data via the SWV/SWO interface into the debugger, removing the need to use a USART for debug output.
Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
mattfox
Associate II
Posted on June 19, 2013 at 22:08

Yeah, I realize now that I worded the questions awkwardly because it just runs once it gets powered.  

Turns out that while setting up USART I hadn't installed the serial port driver so I assumed it wasn't running when, in fact, I just wasn't getting the data.  

Thanks for the help!!