cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to upgrade the firmware on STM32F3Discovery board

aras
Associate
Posted on October 28, 2013 at 16:59

I used the STM32 ST-LINK Utility to connect to my STM32F3Discovery board.

I couldn't seem to erase the chip, or erase any sectors so I thought the firmware needed to be updated in the embedded ST-LINK device on the STM32F3Discovery board.

I used the ST-LINK->Firmware Update tool to perform the update but it didn't succeed. Nothing happened.

Now I can't connect to the device any more. It says:

''Can not connect to target!''.

''Please select ''Connect Under Reset'' mode from Target->Settings menu and try again.''

''STLink USB communication error''

When I set the ''Connect Under Reset'' option it returns an error:

''Error - STLink USB communication error''

When I run the ST-Link Upgrade utility, I disconnect and re-connect the STM32F3Discovery board, click ''Device Connect'' and it says:

''Firmware Version: V2.J16.S0 JTAG debugger

Upgrade the firmware to: V2.J17.S0''

I click on ''Yes'', wait a minute and it eventually fails with the message:

''Upgrade Error, Please try again.''

Obviously the upgrade utility is able to detect the firmware of the ST Link device and it can connect to it, but it is unable to upgrade it.

Did I do something wrong?

What can I do now?

2 REPLIES 2
Posted on October 28, 2013 at 17:27

Yeah, I have no idea what you did.

If there is a problem with user code on the F3, then connect BOOT0 to 3V (HIGH) and reboot.

Make sure you have the most current version of ST-LINK Utilities. Don't upgrade the firmware. I've had an F3-Discovery behave very oddly at one point, seems fine now.

Consider what else you have installed on your PC, older drivers perhaps?

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
aras
Associate
Posted on October 28, 2013 at 18:01

I think you might be right about my computer (which is a Windows 7 PC).

I tried re-installing the firmware using my Windows XP laptop, it worked correctly, and I was able to successfully erase the Flash memory on the F3.

I reconnected the F3 back to my Windows 7 PC, it can connect to the target, and see the Flash memory. But if I attempt to do a chip erase, it returns the error:

''Error occurred during flash mass erase!''

''Disconnected from device.''

''Connection to device is lost: check power supply and debug connection.''

Maybe it's a USB power issue when the erase occurs? I swapped to another USB port on my Windows 7 PC and now it works. I can chip erase and firmware upgrade.

Another possibility is that I was using the USB port on my monitor, so maybe it doesn't like being on a USB hub?

Thanks for your help, it did steer me in the right direction.