cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power Nucleo board directly from a single cell LiPo or Li-Ion

angeletti
Associate II
Posted on May 03, 2016 at 16:35

Is it possible to feed only the MCU on top of a Nucleo board without powering also the embedded ST-Link? I tried, but unfortunately the only solution seems to manually remove the connection between the ST-Link and the MCU reset line (plus removing the power line to the ST-Link). I would propose a more simple configuration, maybe adding an easily operable jumper like the EXT5V or USB5V selector. If anyone knows a simplier way, please let me know

#st-link #nucleo #hardware #swd
2 REPLIES 2
Posted on May 03, 2016 at 18:41

Which Nucleo? The Nucleo-144 boards are very easy to power externally. Got one here wired to a 7VDC 1.8A supply so I can run a Cellular Modem off it. Jumpered it to use VIN

Not clear what ''on top'' means, the ST-LINK part is at the top of the board with the silk-screen/parts naturally orientated.

There have been issues with older ST-LINK firmware holding devices in reset, but this have been addressed in current versions.

To run a Nucleo-64, you might need to modify it a bit, but I doubt this is more than removing a handful of parts.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Walid FTITI_O
Senior II
Posted on May 04, 2016 at 11:52

Hi Fabio_IT,

Yes, it is mentioned in Nucleo user manual:

If the board is powered by USB (U5v) both jumpers JP1 and JP5 are as follow:

JP1 is ON

JP5 is on pin 1 pin 2

If you want to power the Nucleo using external power supply connected to E5V or Vin jumpers should be :

JP1 OFF

JP5 on pin 2 pin 3

Note that to connect Vbat pin to VDD, the solder bridge SB45 hsould be ON.

Refer to the Nucleo user manual for more hardware details.

-Hannibal-