Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F103RF Dual Boot Problem

vcelik
Associate II
Posted on July 01, 2015 at 16:43

Hi,

I am using STM32F103RF (XL density) micro and want to use the flash banks for firmware update. I took ''FLASH\Dual_Boot'' project of STM32F10x_StdPeriphLib as an example. My design is like that: If my code is working on bank1, I erase bank2. Then I download the new firmware from a gprs module and save the data word by word to bank2. Then I program my micro to start from bank2 and reset. So new firmware starts running on bank2. My code is like that:

#define BANK1_START_ADDRESS (0x08000000)
#define BANK2_START_ADDRESS (0x08080000)
int
main(
void
)
{ 
#if defined(BOOT_FROM_BANK1)
/* Set the vector table to the Bank1 start address */
NVIC_SetVectorTable(NVIC_VectTab_FLASH, BANK1_START_ADDRESS);
#elif defined(BOOT_FROM_BANK2)
/* Set the vector table to the Bank1 start address */
NVIC_SetVectorTable(NVIC_VectTab_FLASH, BANK2_START_ADDRESS);
#endif
}
void
Update(
void
)
{
u32FlashDestination = BANK2_START_ADDRESS;
u32FlashDestination = BANK1_START_ADDRESS;
#endif
u32NumberOfPage = Calculate_Page_Amounth(0x10000); 
//64KB space
if
(SUCCESS != Erase_MemoryArea(u32FlashDestination, u32NumberOfPage)){
FWUpdate_ErrorFunction(ERROR_IN_FLASH_ERASE);
return
;
}
// Here I take the data and save to Bank2 by using FLASH_ProgramWord(...)
// I didn't put the code here because it is unnecessary.
FLASH_Unlock();
FLASH_EraseOptionBytes();
if
(FLASH_BootConfig(FLASH_BOOT_Bank2) == FLASH_COMPLETE) 
if
(FLASH_BootConfig(FLASH_BOOT_Bank1) == FLASH_COMPLETE)
#endif
{ 
NVIC_SystemReset();
}
}
ErrorStatus Erase_MemoryArea(u32 u32FlashDestAdr, u32 u32NoOfPage)
{ 
u32 u32EraseCounter; 
for
(u32EraseCounter = 0; u32EraseCounter < u32NoOfPage; u32EraseCounter++){
if
(FLASH_COMPLETE != FLASH_ErasePage(u32FlashDestAdr + (u32EraseCounter * PAGE_SIZE)) ) 
{ 
return
ERROR;
} 
}
return
SUCCESS;
}

The code works fine if the scenario is as explained in the example. But when the code is working on bank2 and if I want to update the firmware, say erase bank1 and program it, I see a problem. Just after erasing page1 of bank1, the micro stops working. Even if I turn the micro off and turn it on again, just after a couple of micro seconds the micro stops working. Page1 of bank1 is from the address 0x0800 0000 to 0x0800 07FF Is it an illegal action to erase that part even if the code is running on bank2? #stm32f103rf-dual-boot
1 REPLY 1
Posted on July 01, 2015 at 17:39

Just after erasing page1 of bank1, the micro stops working.

Even if I turn the micro off and turn it on again, just after a couple of micro seconds the micro stops working.

I think you're going to have to refine ''stops working'' a bit better if you want to understand what's actually happening in your device.

This means your Hard Fault handler needs to do something, and other code needs to output progress information so you understand how and where it ''stops''

I'm not using this part, so don't have a lot of time invested in it. If I felt the System Loader was doing something odd, I'd disassemble it and review what was going on.

Kind of suggests you've got issues with the location of the vector table and/or it's content. Check SCB->VTOR, and what's going on in SystemInit(). Make sure all the addresses are what you expect them to be.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..