Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32W108 discontinuation statement

nelson
Associate II
Posted on July 23, 2013 at 12:06

Hi,

The Zigbee PRO support has been dropped by ST a while back...

Since then I've been trying hard to find some document from ST stating the product discontinuation so we can present that to our customer...

I've tried every form of contact possible and got no reply so far...

Has anyone gotten this document before? Is it available? Under what terms?

Kind regards,

#stm32w108-zigbee-pro
9 REPLIES 9
Posted on July 23, 2013 at 16:27

Are we talking about the Ember stack? SiLabs bought them, and as a competitor to ST, support for ST was dropped. At least that's how I understand the business/political situation.

http://news.silabs.com/press-release/corporate-news/silicon-labs-completes-acquisition-ember

There has been significant consolidation in the wireless space, and I'd expect that to continue. The resource available for RF chips and designs tends to be limited to very large customers, with lots of experience in that space. The business case for chips not selling in high volumes is very tenuous.

The STM32W108 is marked as active, but I do get the impression it's NFND (not for new designs), or EOL.

You will need to find some ST sales reps in your area, and push your questions in there. But if you are not a reasonably large customer I wouldn't expect to get a huge amount of traction.

Disclaimer : I do not work for, or represent ST, all opinions expressed here are my own.
Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
nelson
Associate II
Posted on July 23, 2013 at 17:40

Yes, thats the one... After discontinuation we rolled our own mesh routing solution based on simplemac...

Now we need a document of that sort so we can justify the delay to our customer...

I would understand that quantity policy if they would need to create the document for me...

All custom contacts to ST seem to be silently embarrassed by this and I think that is bad posture for any brand, but anyway, I'm trying to reach out to the community to figure out how ST deals with this type of situation, or in the best case get a download link for the pdf 🙂

Posted on July 23, 2013 at 18:00

I'm not sure if the original download page still exists, that would have been a good place for a declaratory statement about the situation.

It's been about year since the acquisition, and it's certainly one of those messy situations where you have third party licensed material. I know ATMEL moved to their own meshing protocol as a result of all this.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Nickname12657_O
Associate III
Posted on July 23, 2013 at 23:02

Dear Silva, Clive,

We will not move the STM32W108 MCU lines to end of life (EOL), but we will continue serving our customers already in production and in advanced stage of development like in your case. Due to business not inline with our targets for these series, we decided to not recommend these series for new designs and we will move the active flag to NRND ( Not recommende for New design). Please be in touch with your local contacts or distributor in the way we can manage your case for your end customers as we still and will continue producing, serving and supporting these products to our current customers.

Cheers,

STOne-32
nelson
Associate II
Posted on July 25, 2013 at 17:15

Dear STOne-32,

Are you saying that STM32W108CBU61 is not going to be discontinued?

(Notice the trailing 1 as this is the ordering code for the chip supporting Zigbee PRO stack)

Our distributor and ST representative told us that would be discontinued... So, as the micro is not available, firmware stack is useless...

This happened in the final stage of development, and we developed a new mesh routing stack of our own running on any STM32W108.

Now I'm looking for a paper stating ST's discontinuation of the Zigbee PRO stack, I've seen it already, shown to me ST representative. It's the same document where ST recommends the new Zigbee IP...

I've asked our ST contact for the document, but it's been more than a month now and still no response...

nelson
Associate II
Posted on July 30, 2013 at 10:53

So... we are in advanced state of development... where can I order STM32W108CBU61 ?, nobody seems to have them available...

Amel NASRI
ST Employee
Posted on August 16, 2013 at 15:30

Hi Silva,

Could you please contact us using ''Contact Moderator'' link?

We need your personal mail to send you the required document.

Best Regards,

-Mayla-

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Posted on August 16, 2013 at 17:03

Don't you have to register here with an email address?

Amel NASRI
ST Employee
Posted on August 19, 2013 at 10:41

Hi Clive,

Yes it is the case, but unfortunately moderator has no direct access to such information, unlike administrator.

-Mayla-

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.