cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using a block of flash as eeprom

aamirali641989
Associate II
Posted on September 08, 2014 at 08:36

I want to use block of flash(16KB) as eeprom.

I am using STM32F205RBT6 & keil 4.

What I have to do:

1. Store 5Kb of user data & retrieve it on startup.

2. Flash endurance of 10000 cycles is good for my project & I have fixed 16Kb block for it.

What I have done is :

1. OPtion for target-> target-> (check)IROM1 ; Start 0x8000000 ; size 0x4000 OPtion for target-> target-> (check)IROM2 ; Start 0x8008000 ; size 0x18000

i.e fixing flash block 0x80004000 fix for eeprom whose size is 16Kb

2. Flah write code for 5Kb data:

void flash_write(void)
{
uint32_t address = 0x08004000;
uint32_t data;
uint32_t cnt = 0;
/* read entire sector */
while(address < 0x08008000)
{
data = *(__IO uint32_t*)address;
flah_union.data_u32[cnt++] = data;
address = address + 4;
}
/* fill the array */
for( cnt = 0 ; cnt < 5120 ; cnt++ )
{
flah_union.data_u8[cnt] = g_ft232_arr_data[cnt];
}
/* unlock flash */
FLASH_Unlock();
/* Clear pending flags (if any) */
FLASH_ClearFlag(FLASH_FLAG_EOP | FLASH_FLAG_OPERR | FLASH_FLAG_WRPERR | FLASH_FLAG_PGAERR | FLASH_FLAG_PGPERR|FLASH_FLAG_PGSERR);
/* erase the entire sector */
if (FLASH_EraseSector(FLASH_Sector_1, VoltageRange_3) != FLASH_COMPLETE)
{
/* Error occurred while sector erase.
User can add here some code to deal with this error */
while (1)
{
}
}
/* write back array */
address = 0x08004000;
cnt = 0;
{
if (FLASH_ProgramWord(address, flah_union.data_u32[cnt++]) == FLASH_COMPLETE)
{
address = address + 4;
}
else
{
while (1)
{
}
}
}
FLASH_Lock();
}

3. Flash read code for 5Kb data:

void flash_read(void)
{
uint32_t address = 0x08004000;
uint32_t data;
uint32_t cnt = 0;
/* read entire sector */
{
data = *(__IO uint32_t*)address;
flah_union.data_u32[cnt++] = data;
address = address + 4;
}
/* fill the array */
for( cnt = 0 ; cnt < 5120 ; cnt++ )
{
g_ft232_arr_data[cnt] = flah_union.data_u8[cnt];
}
}

My queries:

1. Do I need to disable interrupts before reading or writing to flash even if I had defines separate block for eeprom, as I said earlier.

2. Since I am writing to flash & also while write to flash, code is getting executing from flash i.e code for reading/writing flash. Do I need to move the code to Ram?

If yes how

Edit: All the flash function inside write/read functions are called from standard peripheral library provided by ST.

4 REPLIES 4
Posted on September 08, 2014 at 11:46

Attempt to read (= fetch code) from flash during erase and program causes the processor to stall.

Read the relevant chapter from UM.

All code you want to run during flash program/erase (including ISRs) should go to RAM. Read the manual of your toolchain to learn how to do that.

JW
aamirali641989
Associate II
Posted on September 08, 2014 at 13:38

Hi,

1. I have disabled interrupts before entering the flash read/write functions.

2. Also the sector which I had defines is FLASH_Sector_1, this is not where ISR are located. 

3. Since I had done settings in keil compiler such that it don't put any flash code in sector which I had selected for eeprom eemulation.

Do I still need to put code in RAM.

4. I was looking at AN3390, ST didn't put their code in RAM while emulating SRAM.

5. Any example code??

Posted on September 08, 2014 at 14:03

> Do I still need to put code in RAM.

You never needed to do that if you don't mind that the mcu is ''frozen'' until erasing/programming finishes.

JW

Posted on September 08, 2014 at 17:26

1. I have disabled interrupts before entering the flash read/write functions.

Unless you have contention between read/write (ie read in an interrupt) this doesn't seem necessary, you could use a mutex, or have a RAM copy of the current content, and then write that to flash, and not read the flash version.

2. Also the sector which I had defines is FLASH_Sector_1, this is not where ISR are located. 

The system doesn't care, it is in the same BANK, on the same flash controller.

3. Since I had done settings in keil compiler such that it don't put any flash code in sector which I had selected for eeprom emulation. Do I still need to put code in RAM.

You don't but the process WILL stall, and the ERASE can take a LONG TIME which can exceed the service window of peripherals, and make real time operation problematic.

4. I was looking at AN3390, ST didn't put their code in RAM while emulating SRAM.

It's also a pretty lame library, understand how FLASH works, it's limits/expectations, and code something that does the job you actually need.

5. Any example code??

Putting all the code in RAM is a non-trivial task, you're getting a bit over your skis here. Getting code into RAM is not hard, the system/coding choices require you to understand what you're actually trying to achieve and why.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..