cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32 F4 Discovery Demo

munger
Associate II
Posted on January 17, 2014 at 21:44

I've got a STM32 F4 discovery board for STM32F401with the 9 axis sensors on it. I want to open up the demo project using Keil uVision 4 and modify it. I'm getting an error as soon as I open the project that says Error: Device not found   Device: STM32F4_256KB  Vendor STMicroelectronics  Please update your device selection.

I've enclosed a screen shot of this error.

I don't know what the heck that means. The board shows up in the device manager and is called STMicroelectronics STLink dongle which I think is correct. I've got version 5.1.0.0 of uVision. It is the Lite version.

... actually now that I think about it maybe that's my problem. The Lite version is only good for 32K, right? There is a lot going on in this demo with the accelerometers and such. Is that what this error means? I'm not sure though, when I try starting the debugger I get an error ''Cannot Load Flash Device Description'' 

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

#stm32-f4-discovery
4 REPLIES 4
Posted on January 17, 2014 at 22:38

So really the

http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/tools/PF259098

then?

Not sure what version of Keil supports the F401 chip, and if you have to install some other package/patch to Keil to address.

In 4.71 you can just set the Target to a F405OE, truncate the memory settings to those of the F401, and select the regular 1MB flash algorithm. Make sure it has the right defines, and uses the appropriate startup/system files, and you should be fine.

0690X00000605WuQAI.png

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on January 17, 2014 at 22:40

The error you get specifically means it doesn't like the Device/Target selected for the project, or the Flash Algorithm picked to program it.

munger
Associate II
Posted on January 20, 2014 at 18:34

Thanks a lot clive1.

Yes, I do have the STM32F401C-DISCO.

I went and set the target device to STM32F401VC which is what I believe is what is on the discovery board. Now I get a bunch of compiler errors every time stm32f4xx.h is included which is a lot. All the errors are 

expected a ''}''

.  in the #if defined (STM32F401xx) block. That makes me think there is some incompatible combination of #defines.

Argh! I don't know why this is so hard! It's supposed to be a canned demo for this Discovery board.

I will keep trying stuff in a semi random way.

Mike

As an aside how do you get pictures to show up in the body of your post?

Posted on January 20, 2014 at 21:55

0690X00000605UBQAY.png

You need to make sure you only have one CPU type defined, otherwise it will try to include multiple groups of incompatible code. USE_STDPERIPH_DRIVER,STM32F401xx

0690X00000605X4QAI.png