cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cubeMX Pin user label problem

Arnold Bischof
Associate III
Posted on November 10, 2016 at 16:01

Pin user label disappears when I change the pin function in the cubeMX GUI. This is not an expected behavior, since the already given name of the pin has not changed.

#cubemx
10 REPLIES 10
slimen
Senior
Posted on November 10, 2016 at 16:27

Hello,

Could you please give more details about your case? Which CubeMx version are you using ? If possible attach the screen shot for this case.

Regards

Arnold Bischof
Associate III
Posted on November 10, 2016 at 17:02

cubeMX Version is 4.0

I have defined e.g. a label 'ANA_VOLTAGEBRIDGE' for Pin PA3.

If I change the function of a Pin, e.g. PA3 from ADC_Input to e.g. GPIO_Input, its label changes to 'GPIO_Input' and my previously defined label 'ANA_VOLTAGEBRIDGE' is lost.

Posted on November 11, 2016 at 07:56

I'll confirm this. It's been doing this for many versions.

Latest time I've run into it, 4.17.0 with F4 1.13.1

Andrei from The Great White North
Richard Delorme
Associate II
Posted on December 12, 2016 at 20:01

I too find this behavior undesirable and would like to see it changed.

Regards,

Richard

Jeanne Joly
Senior III
Posted on January 13, 2017 at 15:13

Hello

Bischof.Arnold

and all,

Thanks for your feedbacks.

It is indeed a good idea to change the Pin label behavior asyou mentioned.

We don't know yet when it will be corrected and delivered but this idea is kept on our side and will be handled later.

BR. Eric

T J
Lead
Posted on January 27, 2017 at 02:54

I feel that if you change the function of the pin, it is a drastic change.

I think that CUBEMX is correct to change the pin name to the new function.

otherwise in the code, stuff wont work but the names all look correct, when the pin function is now different.

So, give and take,

the Cubemx people want to make sure that you know what you are doing and you are maybe doing the wrong thing.

This way, Cubemx has not buried a bug for you, and you are conscious of your pin function and name change.

Posted on January 27, 2017 at 03:05

It definitely gives you compile errors, if you use the symbols that it generates.

In our situation, the EE puts together the model and the firmware person works with it. So maybe you'd like to blow up the project for someone else, maybe. 

I think the bigger issue is the loss of the name. If the pin name was altered by adding an underscore to the front say, you'd still know what the name WAS and programmer guy could fix the appropriate section of code. Or you could acknowledge the change in the model by deleting the underscore intentionally.

Blowing away the name doesn't pass the 'choice of least surprise' test.

Posted on January 27, 2017 at 03:52

Yes, combine the best of both worlds.

1. you are still forced to be responsible for the new function and

2. you can see what the old name used to be.

excellent request for the cube engineers.

Posted on December 06, 2017 at 19:27

Any update on this?

Just started using CubeMX...and losing the User Labels  is extremely annoying. Have always developed the startup code from scratch on previous projects, but was asked to try and migrate to CubeMX and the Cube libraries.  So far, this has saved me negative time. 

Given the fact that if you change a pin function, the name gets blown away, what is the proper way to interact with this tool? My board is already designed, I want the pin names to match the net names on my board. The 1st thing I do is name all of the pins and give them best-guess functionality, then I come back to provision the system.  This is obviously not the flow that the designers of this tool had in mind.  

Is there a workflow documented somewhere that I could refer to.

I see absolutely no reason to change (delete) the user labels when you use it in the manner I am using it. Therefore, I must be using it wrong. 

Any pointers would be appreciated