cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USART communicatoin with DMA

to_sam_kim
Associate II
Posted on November 15, 2013 at 19:30

The original post was too long to process during our migration. Please click on the attachment to read the original post.
4 REPLIES 4
Posted on November 15, 2013 at 19:43

I have no interest in wading through others register level code, you'll need to own that and the time it takes to debug it.

You look to be using the wrong DMA resource for USART6_TX
Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
to_sam_kim
Associate II
Posted on November 15, 2013 at 21:00

Hi Clive1,

Thank you for your reply.

You are right. It was wrong DMA resources. I switched to channel 5 of DMA2_steram6. Then I works great.

Besides, I know the register level code is not easy and takes more time to debug. I just try to minimize my code size because I'm using Keil trial version which has 32K code limitation.

Also, I'm studying the registers of the chip as a beginner of the embedded system.

I would really appreciate if you give any alternate solution for the tool chain which doesn't have code size limit.

Thanks again for your help.

Posted on November 15, 2013 at 22:43

I think that's a trap for the beginner, unless you understand the mechanics and plumbing behind the registers you're liable to know a lot about register minutia and nothing about function. Register knowledge is also very non-portable between architectures. I've got a savant level understanding of the STM32 parts and manuals,  and I'm not using register level code for commercial work, you might want to ponder why I'm not a fan. The key here is not to try to know everything, but to know where to look when you need something.

If you want to burn time learning something, focus on Digital Logic Design.

For zero cost I like the Yagarto GNU/GCC tool chain.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
to_sam_kim
Associate II
Posted on November 15, 2013 at 23:57

Thank you for your advice.

I totally agree with you. I tried to understand each functionality of the chip at the same time understanding roles of the register. It gives me at least some basic sense of how embedded system works. I think it's time to switch to C library level coding. 

By the way, I googled YAGARTO GNU and visited

http://www.yagarto.org

There are two choices for the tool chain. One is emIDE and the other is GNU Tools for ARM.

Can you recommend me which one is better if you have some experience with them? 

I plan to install Linux with my computer and install one of free tool chain soon. 

Thanks again for you help