Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F3 Discovery issue with ST Link v2

mahan2009
Associate II
Posted on July 22, 2013 at 18:50

Hello all,

After toiling with the stlink v2 for awhile I've finally caved and decided to try my luck here.  The 

issue is that I've attached the st link SWDIO, SWDCLK, GND, and VDD on the evaluation board.  I installed the drivers and have been trying to use ST Utility with the SWD setting.  It does not connect to the board however and I keep getting the error that there is no connection,

I have removed the two jumpers at CN4 as well as the manual's instructions.  What am I  doing wrong?  Thanks in advance for any help.

5 REPLIES 5
Posted on July 22, 2013 at 21:38

Confused.

You're trying to connect to some other evaluation board? You have an stand-alone ST-LINK V2 you're attempting to connect with the STM32F3-Discovery board?

What boards are you working with, what are you trying to do with them?

The STM32F3-Discovery includes an ST-LINK V2 which works on the F3 that's on the board.

Are you using Windows 8?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
mahan2009
Associate II
Posted on July 23, 2013 at 03:18

I'm  trying to connect the STM32F3 Discovery to the standalone debugger using the SWD 6 pin connection on the evaluation board.  

I'm using windows 7 as the operating system. the 64bit version.  

I'm trying to learn how to connect using the SWD connection so that I can then use it to program a homemade PCB board I made.  The board has the same stm32f303c chip as the evaluation board.

Posted on July 23, 2013 at 13:43

Ok, the 6-pin is not the ideal place to attach an external debugger. It's designed to export the on-board ST-LINK.

You'd want to inject SWDIO and SWCLK via the F3 side of the CN4 jumper block, and then probably break a couple of the solder bridges connecting SWO and NRST from the on-board ST-LINK to the F3.
mahan2009
Associate II
Posted on July 23, 2013 at 15:40

I will give that a go.  I just have to figure out which solderbridges to break and go from there.  

Posted on July 23, 2013 at 17:07

Yeah, I'd certainly start by looking at the

http://www.st.com/st-web-ui/static/active/en/resource/technical/document/user_manual/DM00063382.pdf

, and get a clear idea of what's connected to what, and if that is compatible with what you're trying to achieve. The boards weren't designed for using an external debugger.

Most boards designed to do so have standardize connectors, if this is your goal in trying this, then I might suggest you look at some other reference board designs.