cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Board to board bi-directional SPI+DMA data corruption issues

rgodshall
Associate II
Posted on July 17, 2014 at 18:45

I have two discovery cards setup for bi-directional SPI. On the slave, I'm using SPI3 with DMA1 support (TX stream = CH0_S5, RX=CH0_S0). I have the TX stream flow control configured as DMA_FlowCtrl_Peripheral (tried both, this makes most sense to me due to nature of SPI & DMA) and the RX stream as DMA_FlowCtrl_Memory (also tried both). Regardless of RX flow control config, and with TX as peripheral control, I observe the following:

- When the master xfers zeros and the slave xfers non-zeros, the both sides get the proper data, tho the first slave TX byte is either zero (1st xfer) or the last buffered value - I expect this based on the spec.

- The result is the same (disregarding TX buffer notes) when the slave xfers zeros and the master xfers non-zeros

- However, when both xfer non-zero data, the slave RX buffer is mostly corrupted as well as the data that the slave shifts out (as observed on logic analyzer and in master RX buffer - both of which agree with each other). 

This leads me to suspect that the TX & RX stream accesses to SPI3->DR are somehow colliding. Does this make sense? I infer from the datasheet that full bi-directional xfers with DMA support should be possible; have I misinterpreted the spec?

Some possibly pertinent notes on setup: 

- running master clk very slow (333kHz)

- running all buses at full speed - this is required by other aspects of this system (SYSCLK = 168MHz)

- with slave RX in DMA_FlowCtrl_Mode, buffer size [NDTR] is 8 (as is &sharpbytes xfered by master)

- in either slave RX flow control case, RX TCIF interrupt is triggered. However, the slave TX TCIF is not triggered when configured in peripheral flow control mode; as such, I am clearing any TX flags and resetting the TX stream in the RX IRQ handler

- my code is based on the std peripheral lib v1.3 example SPI_DataExchangeDMA; changes include interrupts, hard NSS behavior, triggering methods

- Slave register values after init but before first xfer:

- SPI3: 

- SPI3_CR1: 0x00000050

- SPI3_CR2: 0x00000003

- DMA1

- DMA1_S0CR: 0x00002C15 (slave RX stream, memory flow control mode)

- DMA1_S5CR: 0x00022C75 (slave TX stream, peripheral flow control mode)

I can manage if either the master or slave must xfer zeros while the other xfers real data, but this doubles my comms period. Fully bi-directional data is my goal. Any input or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!

#stm32-spi-dma
2 REPLIES 2
shilchenbach
Associate II

Hi,

we have a similar problem. Was there a solution for this post?

Regards,

Stephan

Please don't try to resurrect a 4 years old thread. Start your own, stating the problem, describing the observed symptoms and how do they depart from the expected behaviour.

JW