cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LCD TFT Controller (LTDC) frame rate .

zeros_and_ones1991
Associate III
Posted on December 11, 2014 at 13:09

Hullo guys , I was wondering about the frame rate of the LTDC in STM32F4xx series , There is no obvious information in the user manual about the frame rate , and in the demo example , I just set the pixel value in the SDRAM buffer and then it's supposed to be displayed without touching the LTDC module after turning it on , as if it starts displays the new data as soon as it finishes the previous frame . if this how it works , wont that consume the AHB bus , and thus prevent the processor and other peripherals from working ? 

Any clearer documentation will be good for this part 

Thx in Advance .
2 REPLIES 2
Posted on December 11, 2014 at 20:24

Wouldn't the pixel clock and display dimensions tend to define the frame rate?

Yes, I would expect is does a DMA memory loop painting each raster of each frame, with the aid of fifo and burst buffers, and a bus matrix configuration to prevent it saturating the AHB bus. Accessing the same resources at the same time will cause some contention, and delay the lower priority device.
Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
zeros_and_ones1991
Associate III
Posted on December 11, 2014 at 23:11

Thx a lot Clive , by frame rate , I meant the time interval between frames (which is not there obviously) , not the time of displaying single frame (as this time is small compared to the time between successive frames in the normal case ) .

The LTDC does not need using one of the DMAs , so as u know u just point to the buffer of the Layer , then it works continuously .

I guess u r right regarding the bus usage (because that was the reason for my confusion) , but would the  FIFO  (which would be 4 word deep) be enough not to saturate the bus ? 

If it really works that way , that means the CPU and other Processing will really be VERY SLOW , when the LTDC is on . 

That's really confusing .