a2399
Associate II
Posted on October 06, 2008 at 23:38

Getting unique Device ID

8 REPLIES 8
a2399
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:46

I'm trying to extract the 'Unique Device ID' out of the 'Device Electronic Signature' (see section 25.2 of RM0008 rev 5) and I'm only seeing 0xFF's out of the entire 96 bits.

serialNumber0 = *(const uInt16 *)0x1FFFF7E8;

serialNumber1 = *(const uInt16 *)0x1FFFF7EA;

... etc.

Does this only work with certain rev silicon?

andreas2
Associate II

My rev.B STM32F103RBT6 seems to be missing the ID. It doesn't have anything at the RAM size location (0x1ffff7e2) either. The rev.Z STM32F103R8T6 we have in production at work certainly have had all the specified fields programmed.

BTW I hope no-one uses the ID as a cryptographic key, as suggested in the data sheet, since it's just a simple serial number where only the last few digits differ within a batch.

a2399
Associate II

Thanks for the info.

The datasheet doesn't provide much information about the randomness of the fields, or the sequencing of the serial number - useful information to have to create an effective cryptographic algorithm, or to derive a serial number that's less than 96 bits.

Perhaps an app note on this feature would be helpful?

16-32micros
Associate III

Hi Andreas, all,

In the USB Developer Kit, and all USB applications, You can use this Unique 96-bits ID as a serial number in your device descriptor and so you can ensure

that all USB devices with STM32 are unique WW. You can also use it during First programming with Flash programmers to create a unique identification of your devices without prior programming cost and then to build a trace/tracking signature.

Cheers,

STOne-32.

jj
Associate II

Hi STOne-32-

Glad to see your informative post re: USB ''use'' of STM32's unique 96 bit ID. Thank you. Believe that your post can be made even more valuable...

I have the same difficulty as Andreas & A. Kleinert - an inability to extract the unique 96 bit ID. (STM32F103RBT6) Are you able to supply any guidance to we (ID-less) three? (sure there are others, too) Thank you.

16-32micros
Associate III

Hi jj.sprague,

This Unique ID feature and registers are added/programmed recently at our manufacturing and are only available on Latest production devices that go directly to customers/distributors . So some early devices and for instance most of old Starter kits ( Keil, IAR etc..) do not include them.

I'm quite sure that all our devices having datecode 828 ( 2008 Week 28) include them. So you may have an early sample where these registers are left blank 0xFF....FF. Please let me know if it is your case.

Cheers,

STOne-32.

jj
Associate II

Hi STOne-32,

Wonderful, detailed explanation - you diagnosed my situation exactly - most grateful - thank you! (we have over 6 Starter/Eval boards and will

swap to latest STMs)

a2399
Associate II

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

Do all devices (> datecode 828) have this unique ID feature? (ie: including devices without the USB feature?)

Cheers