Associate II
Posted on October 13, 2008 at 18:29

STM32 vs Atmel SAM7X

10 REPLIES 10
jj
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:47

Hi Abdul,

My firm started with SAM7S - then LPC, LMI and happiest with STM32.

Everyone's situation is different - suggest you prioritize & chart your requirements - then build a spreadsheet to see how each device compares.

In general the Cortex M3 outperforms ARM7. And the market seems to have adopted the M3 - proof of this is other vendors adopting M3.

Lastly - compare the activity/quality of ''X'' forum vs. this one. Led by STOne-32 - believe you will agree ''this'' is the place to be. (but do not bug ''lanchon!'')

abdul
Associate II

Hi,

I look for a low cost 32-bit device with ARM core and a bunch of analog/digital peripherals. Why STM32 should be a better choice than Atmel SAM7X ?

Abdul

16-32micros
Associate III

Dear jj.sprague,Abdul,

Thanks for the compliments about STM32 based on your personal experience,

I will not say that STM32 is the best as I'm the moderator, so my opinion will not be taken seriously 🙂

However, in the 32-bits Market, there is a global convergence of 16 & 32 bits applications , ST is a Lead Partner with ARM company, we have licensed the Cortex-M3 and working closely with ARM architects to define this new market requirements to bring the best compromise of core /architecture analog/digital peripherals & low power with a reasonable price.

I can advice you to have a look at this Technical Article : by Tom Cantrell

http://www.st.com/mcu/files/mcu/1206952355.pdf

Cheers,

STOne-32.

[ This message was edited by: STOne-32 on 06-10-2008 22:43 ]

st3
Associate II

Quote:

we have licensed the Cortex-M3

And you also have ARM-7 and ARM-9 - so perhaps you could compare & contrast the merits of each...

abdul
Associate II

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. In fact, I look for an ARM-based product with Ethernet IP. IMHO, the IPs found in STM32 family does not provide outstanding features. I should like to get STM32 with Ethernet and USB HS.

Maybe it is on the roadmap ...

Abdul

Cortex-M3 from Microchip?

If Microchip acquires Atmel it is possible

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/corporate/view_detail.asp?FileName=Micro_ON_10_2.html

Jan

lanchon
Associate II

a while back I heard that apparently ST didn't want to erode the market of the higher cost parts that include ethernet with the cheap STM32 family, and that'd be why they didn't support net. IMHO competitive pressure might force them to do it soon enough; and I think that the introduction of the HD subfamily makes it even more likely.

st3
Associate II

Quote:

competitive pressure might force them to do it soon enough;

eg, take a look at Luminary Micro - they have Cortex-M3 with ethernet; also USB Host and OTG:

http://www.luminarymicro.com/products/product_selector_guide.html

abdul
Associate II

Thanks again.