Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stlink v2 & ITM trace

bernd
Associate II
Posted on November 07, 2013 at 19:02

Hi,

I am currently stuck with stlink v2 and ITM trace on a STM32F103RB. I am using CMSIS debug support by simply calling ITM_SendChar(). This is the only trace specific code than I am using. I used SWV in the stlink tool as well as st-trace but I don't see any data. When debugging I can also see that I can reach and execute

ITM->PORT[0].u8 = (uint8_t)ch;

I have not found a single hint on certain startup-code or device, clock or other activation code that needs to be used. Anything I am potentially missing? I think I saw somewhere that trace is only working when connected with a debugger but that sounds too odd to me. I am not debugging and tracing at the same time. Physically I am only using GND, VREF, SW CLK, SW DATA IO, SWO and RST of the stlink - works well for debugging and flashing. SWCLK and TRACESWO show some activity on the oscilloscope and only when activated - so something is happening. Thanks, Bernd
9 REPLIES 9
Posted on November 07, 2013 at 20:02

It is critical that the SWV/ITM tool understands exactly what frequency you are running the core.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
bernd
Associate II
Posted on November 07, 2013 at 20:37

That was already set wrong. Now I set to 72MHz and SWV Frequency is auto-set to 2MHz. Does that make sense?

But still no data.
Posted on November 07, 2013 at 21:44

I haven't played with a stand-alone ST-LINK, mainly the Discovery boards, and via U-LINK and J-LINK. What firmware do you have on the ST-LINK? Confirm not in JTAG mode. If you have a serial port perhaps you'd want to display the APB/AHB clocks, and ITM registers.

RCC_ClocksTypeDef RCC_ClockFreq;
RCC_GetClocksFreq(&RCC_ClockFreq);
printf(''SYS:%d H:%d, P1:%d, P2:%d
'',
RCC_ClockFreq.SYSCLK_Frequency,
RCC_ClockFreq.HCLK_Frequency, // AHB
RCC_ClockFreq.PCLK1_Frequency, // APB1
RCC_ClockFreq.PCLK2_Frequency); // APB2
printf(''%08X %08X %08X %08X %08
X'',
*(volatile unsigned int *)0xE0000E00,
*(volatile unsigned int *)0xE0000E80,
*(volatile unsigned int *)0xE000EDF0,
*(volatile unsigned int *)0xE000EDFC,
*(volatile unsigned int *)0xE0042004);

For several of the Discovery boards you have to solder one of the SB (solder bridge) to get PB3 (SWO) to the F103 implementing the ST-LINK
bernd
Associate II
Posted on November 07, 2013 at 22:17

{SYSCLK_Frequency = 72000000, HCLK_Frequency = 72000000, PCLK1_Frequency = 36000000, PCLK2_Frequency = 72000000, ADCCLK_Frequency = 36000000}
ITM_TER = 0xFFFFFFFF
ITM_TCR = 0x1000D
0xE000EDF0 = 0x30003
0xE000EDFC = 0x1000001
0xE0042004 = 0x27

cmantunes
Associate II
Posted on December 05, 2013 at 15:04

Have you been able to solve the problem? I am having the same issue with ST Link Utility Serial WIre Viewer... Thanks!

Posted on December 05, 2013 at 16:00

Have you been able to solve the problem? I am having the same issue with ST Link Utility Serial WIre Viewer...

The same issue? Can you be a little bit more specific about your set up and tool chain, and such?

cmantunes
Associate II
Posted on December 05, 2013 at 17:04

I am using Em::Blocks IDE, which doesn't support ITM viewing, together with with ST-Link V2/ISOL for programming and debugging. This config works fine. For serial wire viewing, I am just using the STM32 STLink Utility. 

Posted on December 05, 2013 at 17:21

And what board/chip is this with? Do you have a schematic?

The critical connection is PB3 SWO.

The critical setting is that of the speed.

The other setting should be the defaults for ITM_SendChar(), the ST-Link can let you mess with the channel setting, but not much else.

Pay attention to the connectivity, and firmware version.

cmantunes
Associate II
Posted on December 06, 2013 at 17:31

Well, it's always a stupid mistake, like connecting to the wrong pin!

It is working now. Thank you for your interest.