cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software Reset on STM32F417 - Doesn't Work?

kevin23
Associate II
Posted on October 21, 2013 at 22:53

Hi All,

I am working with the STM32F417. I am developing a bootloader and I need to generate a software reset. According to the Cortex-M4 programming manual (PM0214), you can generate a software reset by writing to the AIRCR register in the System Control Block. It appears that the only bit available to for a reset is bit 2, SYSRESETREQ. Bits 1 and 0 are reserved.

So, including the VECTKEY, I have the following line of code:

SCB->AIRCR = 0x05FA0004;

It does not do anything. It definitely does not reset the microcontroller. I have tried with and without connection to the debugger. No difference.

I cannot find any entries on the forum about software resets on the Cortex-M4. Apparently the Cortex-M3 libraries have routines called NVIC_SoftwareReset, and/or NVIC_GenerateSoftwareReset. My libraries do not include these functions.

I can confirm that bit 0 of the CONTROL register is 0, indicating that I am in privileged mode so I am allowed to write to the AIRCR register.

Are there any steps/actions need to take right before, or right after the write to AIRCR?

There is nothing in the errata about this software feature.

Thanks

Kevin

#aircr #stm32 #software-reset
4 REPLIES 4
kevin23
Associate II
Posted on October 22, 2013 at 00:41

UPDATE:

So I found the NVIC_SystemReset function in ''core_cm4.h''. The code is copied below.

When I call this function, it just sits forever in the while(1) loop, indicating that it is NOT working.

/** \brief  System Reset

This function initiate a system reset request to reset the MCU.

*/

static __INLINE void NVIC_SystemReset(void)

{

__DSB();                                                     /* Ensure all outstanding memory accesses included

buffered write are completed before reset */

SCB->AIRCR  = ((0x5FA << SCB_AIRCR_VECTKEY_Pos)      |

(SCB->AIRCR & SCB_AIRCR_PRIGROUP_Msk) |

SCB_AIRCR_SYSRESETREQ_Msk);                   /* Keep priority group unchanged */

__DSB();                                                     /* Ensure completion of memory access */

while(1);                                                    /* wait until reset */

}

Posted on October 22, 2013 at 00:55

Are you using an RTOS by chance?

Are you driving the NRESET pin externally with a Push-Pull driver?
Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
kevin23
Associate II
Posted on October 22, 2013 at 16:29

No RTOS, but we sure are driving nRESET with a push-pull. It is tied to the output of an AND gate. I had checked for that issue early in my troubleshooting but missed it.

We'll have to change the circuit.

Thanks Clive!

Posted on October 22, 2013 at 16:53

Had kind of discounted the RTOS as you'd already looked at the Privilege level.

Seen a bunch of ARM designs where the RESET fails like this, you're not the first, or likely the last. I had one customer complain my board was resetting his system, as I was using a thresholding POR chip attached to my RESET pin which didn't care for his supply browning out all the time.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..