cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to for the DMA to read the target address as part of the source?

evan
Associate II
Posted on May 11, 2017 at 16:04

Suppose there's a table with two columns: column A has the destination address and column B has the value I want to write to the destination. (Destination addresses in column A are NOT contiguous) Is there any way to direct the DMA to read the destination from column A and conduct the transfer of Column B without CPU intervention? Curious about the F4 / F7 but would welcome any input on any other Cortex cores if available.

Thanks!

#memory #stm-32f7 #f7 #dma
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Posted on May 11, 2017 at 17:13

DMA on these cores is pretty dumb, people who want exotic memory writing and sequencing tend to do it with FPGA/CPLD designs because it's easier and faster to do exactly what you want.

Not sure I've seen anything with scatter-gather or chaining recently. Network processors may have some more stateful handling of data on the fly.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Posted on May 11, 2017 at 17:13

DMA on these cores is pretty dumb, people who want exotic memory writing and sequencing tend to do it with FPGA/CPLD designs because it's easier and faster to do exactly what you want.

Not sure I've seen anything with scatter-gather or chaining recently. Network processors may have some more stateful handling of data on the fly.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..